Near Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gen. J. E. Johnstonís Headquarters
June 19: Hdqírs moved to the Kirkpatrick house south of the mountain.
The advanced Fed. line crossed the road several hundred ft. W. Between June 19 & 27, the two-story York house, used by Fed. sharpshooters, was destroyed by Confederate artillery fire from the mountain.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.847′ N, 84° 36.017′ W. Marker is near Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Burnt Hickory Road NW and Carnes Road NW on Burnt Hickory Road NW. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1670 Burnt Hickory Road NW, Marietta GA 30064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Loganís 15th A.C. Line (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kennesaw Battlefield (approx. Assault on Pigeon Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Leonidas Polk's Headquarters (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kennesaw Spur (approx. half a mile away); Gen. O. O. Howardís Headquarters (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hardee's Salient (approx. 1.1 miles away); Cheatham Hill (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marietta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,026 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.