Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

General Leonidas Polk's Headquarters

G.W. Hardage house; June 10-14, 1864

 
 
General Leonidas Polk's Headquarters Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 4, 2009
1. General Leonidas Polk's Headquarters Marker
Inscription. After withdrawing his corps from Lost Mtn. June 9, Polks Hdqrs. [CS] were at the John Kirk house 1 mi. W. on this rd. June 10, hdqrs. were moved to Hardage house.

Sun. June 12. The Bishop-General read the church service (Episcopal) for his staff, escort, and the Hardage family.

June 14. Polk rode with Johnston, Hardee & others to Pine Mtn. to inspect Bates [CS] line at that advanced outpost. While there, Polk was killed by a Federal shell.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-20.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 57.846′ N, 84° 36.452′ W. Marker is near Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Burnt Hickory Road NW and Hardage Trace NW, on the right when traveling west on Burnt Hickory Road NW. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1888 Burnt Hickory Road NW, Marietta GA 30064, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. O. O. Howards Headquarters (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gen. J. E. Johnstons Headquarters (approx. 0.4 miles away);
General Leonidas Polk's Headquarters Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 4, 2009
2. General Leonidas Polk's Headquarters Marker
Logans 15th A.C. Line (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hardee's Salient (approx. 0.8 miles away); Kennesaw Battlefield (approx. 0.8 miles away); Assault on Pigeon Hill (approx. 0.8 miles away); Kennesaw Spur (approx. 0.9 miles away); Cheatham Hill (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marietta.
 
Also see . . .  Bishop-General Leonidas Polk. (Submitted on April 5, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
General Leonidas Polk's Headquarters Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 4, 2009
3. General Leonidas Polk's Headquarters Marker
The Hardage House is to the right.
General Leonidas Polk's Headquarters Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 4, 2009
4. General Leonidas Polk's Headquarters Marker
The Hardage House Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 4, 2009
5. The Hardage House
The G. W. Hardage house has been enlarged and renovated over the years since the Civil War.
Side view of the Hardage House Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 4, 2009
6. Side view of the Hardage House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,022 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement