Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dinwiddie in Dinwiddie County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Dinwiddie Courthouse

 
 
Dinwiddie Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
1. Dinwiddie Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Sheridan advanced to this place on March 29, 1865, while Warren was attacking Anderson about three miles north. On March 31 Sheridan moved south but was checked by Pickett and driven back to the courthouse. That night Pickett withdrew to Five Forks.
 
Erected 1965 by Virginia State Library. (Marker Number S 54.)
 
Location. 37° 4.653′ N, 77° 35.342′ W. Marker is in Dinwiddie, Virginia, in Dinwiddie County. Marker is on Boydton Plank Road (U.S. 1) 0.1 miles from Sycamore Drive, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dinwiddie VA 23841, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scott's Law Office (a few steps from this marker); Dinwiddie Court House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Education in Dinwiddie County (about 500 feet away); Battle of Dinwiddie Court House (about 500 feet away); The War of 1812 / Winfield Scott (about 800 feet away); Vaughan Road (approx. half a mile away); Chamberlain's Bed (approx. one mile away but has been reported missing); Campaign of 1781 (approx. 1.4 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Dinwiddie.
 
Also see . . .
Battle of Dinwiddie Courthouse Marker. image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
2. Battle of Dinwiddie Courthouse Marker.

1. CWSAC Battle Summary. Dinwiddie Court House. (Submitted on April 5, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 

2. History Net. Battle of Dinwiddie Court House. (Submitted on April 8, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Courthouse Road (facing north). image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
3. Courthouse Road (facing north).
On March 31, 1865, Maj Gen Phillip H Sheridan sent his troopers up this road from Dinwiddie Courthouse towards Five Forks. Maj Gen George E Pickett's infantry and Brig Gen Thomas T Munfordís cavalry drove them back.
Site of Fitzgerald's Ford across Chamberlain's Bed (facing west). image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
4. Site of Fitzgerald's Ford across Chamberlain's Bed (facing west).
To the west, Maj Gen WHF Leeís cavalry forced a crossing here and threatened Sheridan's flank.
Chamberlain's Bed. image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
5. Chamberlain's Bed.
A mile upstream, two of Pickett's infantry brigades crossed at Danse's Ford and pushed the Federals back towards Dinwiddie Courthouse.
The Pegram homestead "Bonneville" circa 1800 (private residence). image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
6. The Pegram homestead "Bonneville" circa 1800 (private residence).
Home of John Pegram, grandfather of Confederate officers John and younger brother Willie. The Federals fell back in good order past this farm.
Wilkinson Road & Courthouse Road (facing north). image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
7. Wilkinson Road & Courthouse Road (facing north).
Sheridan's cavalrymen, forced back from Fitzerald's Ford to the west [Ford Station Road] and Five Forks [Courthouse Road] to the north, set up a defensive line just south of here.
Union defensive position on Courthouse Road (facing north). image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
8. Union defensive position on Courthouse Road (facing north).
Sheridan's scattered brigades fell back to this slight rise of ground ½ mile northwest of Dinwiddie Court House and threw up crude breastworks.
Union defensive perimiter constructed along this ridgeline. image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2009
9. Union defensive perimiter constructed along this ridgeline.
Maj Gen George A Custer arrived with two brigades supported by four cannons of Co. A, 2nd US Artillery. The fighting dwindled to a close as darkness fell. Later that night, Pickett's men withdrew back to Five Forks.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,030 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement