Near Kennesaw in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Due West Community
Cleburne’s Div., Confederate, was posted at the ch., the left of Johnston’s line [CS] after the withdrawal of Polk’s corps [CS] from Lost Mtn., June 9. Confronting Cleburne were the 23d A. C. and Butterfield’s (3d) Div., 20th A. C. [US]
Due to pressure on his extended front, Johnston swung Hardee’s Corps [CS] back to the Mud Creek line E. of Sandtown Rd., June 16.
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 58.204′ N, 84° 39.828′ W. Marker is near Kennesaw, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Kennesaw Due West Road NW 0.2 miles east of Due West Road NW, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker stands in front of the reconstructed Gilgal Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 667 Kennesaw Due West Road NW, Kennesaw GA 30152, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Gilgal Church (within Military Action at Gilgal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Dickson House (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Reversed Trench (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of Pine Knob (approx. ¾ mile away); Green Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Sandtown Road (approx. 1.2 miles away); Captain Peter Simonson (approx. 1.3 miles away).
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,332 times since then and 120 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.