Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Darby Plantation

 
 
Darby Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 4, 2009
1. Darby Plantation Marker
Inscription. The old Marietta Rd. joined the Sandtown Rd. here -- 1864.

June 17-19. Geary’s (2d) Div., 20th A.C., supporting 13th N.Y. & Pa. E batteries, were N. of rd. & Cox’s (3d) Div. 23d. A.C., supporting 1st Ohio Bat. D. [US] were S. of rd. -- in area from Darby house to Mud Cr.

The artillery duel with Cleburne [CS] on high ridge E. of creek & Geary’s [US] rain-soaked infantry in flooded area next to stream, are a part of the annals.

On 19th, Cleburne [CS] moved E. followed by 20th A.C. 23d A.C. moved S. on this rd. -- a march that broke the Kennesaw stalemate.
 
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-7.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 57.167′ N, 84° 38.967′ W. Marker is near Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Marietta Highway (Georgia Route 120) and Bob Cox Road, on the right when traveling east on Marietta Highway. Click for map. Marker is at entrance to shopping center opposite Bob Cox Road. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30064, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow
Darby Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 4, 2009
2. Darby Plantation Marker
flies. Old Sandtown Road (approx. ¼ mile away); Green Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mud Creek Line (approx. 0.9 miles away); Due West Community (approx. 1.5 miles away); Battle of Gilgal Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); Military Action at Gilgal Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); Main Confederate Battle Line (approx. 1.5 miles away); Battle of Pine Knob (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marietta.
 
More about this marker. Marker originally stood approximately 1/10 mile east on Ga 120, in front of the Darby house.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Darby Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 4, 2009
3. Darby Plantation Marker
Darby Plantation image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 4, 2009
4. Darby Plantation
This is the original front. The house has been extensively remodeled since the Civil War. The porch is a later addition, probably in the first third of the 20th century. The wing to the back was probably built at the same time. The window on the second floor appears to be original, while the ones on the first floor were probably added at the same time as the rear addition.
Darby Plantation image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 4, 2009
5. Darby Plantation
Rear of the heavily modified house which still stands on battlefield.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,209 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement