Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Headquarters of George Washington
James Walter Thomas, L.L.D.; Litt.D.
dedicated April 21, 1921 in the presence of
General John J. Pershing
Commander of American Armies
Major C.E.D. Bridges
Military Attache of British Embassy
Hon. Albert C. Ritchie
Governor of Maryland
Dr. Thomas W. Koon
Mayor of Cumberland
Judge Ferdinand Williams
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
Location. 39° 38.975′ N, 78° 45.885′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Greene Street and Bridge Street. Click for map. Marker in on the front wall of the headquarters building. Marker is in this post office area: Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. George Washington at Willís Creek (here, next to this marker); Col. Joshua Fry (a few steps from this marker); Riverside Park (a few steps from this marker); Fort Cumberland Trail (a few steps from this marker); Where the Road Began (a few steps from this marker); National Road Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old National Pike (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Thomas Cresap (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Cumberland.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,308 times since then and 146 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 4. submitted on , by A. Virginia Decker of Cumberland,, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.