Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Outer Defense Line
July 20. After line adjustment, Walthall’s div., astride Howell Mill Rd., moved N. (about 4 P.M.) to attack the Federal 20th A. C.; Reynolds’ brigade was W. of the rd., O’Neal’s east of it. Loring’s div. (E. of O’Neal) also attacked. French’s div. [CS] was held in reserve, facing the 14th A. C. [US].
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-50.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 48.09′ N, 84° 24.925′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Howell Mill Road and White Street, on the right when traveling north on Howell Mill Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30318, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance French’s Division Hood’s Left Flank (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Hiram Embry Plantation (approx. half a mile away); Reynolds’ Brigade at the Ravine (approx. 0.6 miles away); Maj. William C. Preston C.S.A (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Mt. Zion Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Geary’s Refused Line (approx. ¾ mile away); O’Neal’s Brigade (approx. ¾ mile away); Loring’s Hill (approx. ¾ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 742 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.