Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleveland in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Karamu House

 
 
Karamu House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 9, 2009
1. Karamu House Marker
Inscription. Karamu House, Incorporated was established in 1915 as the Playhouse Settlement, one of Cleveland's many settlement houses for migrant and immigrant communities. Initiated by the Men's Club of the Second Presbyterian Church, in 1915 Oberlin College and University of Chicago social work graduates, Russell and Rowena Woodham Jellliffe were hired as the founding directors. Originally located at 2239 East 38th Street, the Playhouse Settlement offered children's theater and other social, recreational, and educational activities. It soon developed a partnership with the Dumas Dramatic Club, a local African American theater company that later became known as the Gilpin Players.
(continued on other side)

(continued from other side)
After partnering with the Dumas Dramatic Club, the Playhouse Settlement began to produce adult theater productions. In 1924, educator and Gilpin Player Hazel Mountain Walker named the theater "Karamu," a Kiswahili term for "place of joyful gathering." After a fire in 1939, the new theater and institution opened a new facility at East 89th and Quincy Avenue. Alumni of Karamu House art, education, and social work programs include poet Langston Hughes; actors Minnie Gentry, Ron O'Neal, Robert Guilliaume, and Arsenio Hall; artists Charles Sallee, William Smith, and Hughie Lee Smith; and social worker Marjorie
Karamu House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 9, 2009
2. Karamu House Marker
Will Johnson.
 
Erected 2003 by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Cinergy Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 57-18.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 29.612′ N, 81° 37.446′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is on Quincy Avenue near East 89th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2355 East 89th Street, Cleveland OH 44106, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Woodland Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Michelson-Morley Experiment (approx. 1.1 miles away); Charles Waddell Chesnutt (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Arthur G. McKee House (approx. 1.1 miles away); The History of Hough (1799-1979) (approx. 1.2 miles away); Dunham Tavern (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Dunham Tavern Garden (approx. 1.3 miles away); University Circle (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cleveland.
 
Also see . . .
1. Karamu House official website. (Submitted on April 9, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
2. Entry on Karamu House in the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
Karamu House Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 9, 2009
3. Karamu House
. (Submitted on April 9, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
 
Categories. 20th CenturyAfrican AmericansArts, Letters, Music
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 837 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement