Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mangohick in King William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Mangohick Church

 
 
Mangohick Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, April 9, 2009
1. Mangohick Church Marker
Inscription. Referred to by William Byrd in 1732 as the New Brick Church, Mangohick Church was built circa 1730 as a chapel of ease for those who lived in remote areas of St. Margaret's Parish. Distinguished by its fine Flemish bond brickwork, Mangohick became the Upper Church of St. David's when that parish was formed in 1774. It became a free church for use by any denomination following disestablishment of the Church of England in Virginia. It now serves the Mangohick Baptist congregation.
 
Erected 1985 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number OC 20.)
 
Location. 37° 48.602′ N, 77° 16.391′ W. Marker is in Mangohick, Virginia, in King William County. Marker is at the intersection of King William Road (Virginia Route 30) and Mangohick Church Road, on the left when traveling east on King William Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Aylett VA 23009, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Caroline County / King William (approx. 2.4 miles away); Gabrielís Rebellion (approx. 5.4 miles away); Caroline County / Hanover County (approx. 5.5 miles
Mangohick Church Marker on King William Road Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, April 9, 2009
2. Mangohick Church Marker on King William Road
away); Patrick Henry (approx. 6 miles away); Hanover Courthouse (approx. 6.1 miles away); a different marker also named Hanover Courthouse (approx. 6.1 miles away); Hanover Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. 6.1 miles away); Washington-Rochambeau Route (approx. 6.1 miles away but has been reported missing).
 
Also see . . .  Civil War Traveler. Lee vs. Grant: The 1864 Overland Campaign Tour. (Submitted on April 10, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Mangohick Church established 1732. Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, April 9, 2009
3. Mangohick Church established 1732.
Army of the Potomac Headquarters. Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, April 9, 2009
4. Army of the Potomac Headquarters.
Generals Grant and Meade established army headquarters here on the night of May 27, 1864, as the army moved from the North Anna River to the Pamunkey River. Union soldiers camped in the surrounding area.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 881 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement