Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleveland in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Old Stone Church

 
 
The Old Stone Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 11, 2009
1. The Old Stone Church Marker
Inscription. Religious worship began on this site in 1820 as a Plan of the Union Sunday School with ministers recruited by the Connecticut Home Missionary Society. Its first stone church, officially known as the First Presbyterian Church of Cleveland, was built and dedicated on February 26, 1834, but as the congregation grew, a second stone church was constructed and finished on August 12, 1855. Built of Berea Sandstone, it stands now as the oldest building on Public Square. Ravaged by fires in 1857 and 1884, the church was rebuilt according to the original plans, and the 1884 interior restored by East Coast architect, Charles W. Schweinfurth. From 1965 to 1983, the chapel served as the worship center for the Cleveland Chinese Christian Church.
 
Erected 2003 by the First Presbyterian Church and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 66-18.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 30.014′ N, 81° 41.668′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Public Square and Ontario Street on Public Square. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 91 Public Square, Cleveland OH 44113, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
The Old Stone Church image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 11, 2009
2. The Old Stone Church
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cuyahoga County Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ohio State Bar Association (about 600 feet away); The Arcade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Navy Bicentennial (approx. mile away); Com. Oliver Hazard Perry (approx. mile away); Near this site Fort Huntington was Erected (approx. mile away); Dear General, We have met the enemy and they are ours (approx. mile away); The Burnham Mall (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Cleveland.
 
Also see . . .  Official website. (Submitted on April 11, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 677 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement