Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Livermore in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Bank of Italy Building

 
 
Bank of Italy Building Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 5, 2009
1. Bank of Italy Building Marker
Inscription. This granite faced building was designed in the Classic Renaissance Revival Style for the Bank of Italy in 1921. It later became the thirteenth branch of the Bank of America. From 1957-1978, this building served as Livermore's city hall.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places May 1978
Plaque designated by Livermore Heritage Preservation Commission July 1987
 
Erected 1987 by Livermore Heritage Preservation Commission.
 
Location. 37° 40.938′ N, 121° 46.105′ W. Marker is in Livermore, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of First Street and S Livermore Avenue, on the right when traveling west on First Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2250 First Street, Livermore CA 94550, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Livermore Flagpole (within shouting distance of this marker); Livermore Town Hall Jail and Firehouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); D. F. Bernal Building (about 600 feet away); Livermore Southern Pacific Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carnegie Library
Bank of Italy Building - View from First Street, Just East of the Building Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 5, 2009
2. Bank of Italy Building - View from First Street, Just East of the Building
Designed in 1921 by Alfred G. Storm, and built on the site of the former McLeod Building, which had housed various businesses, as well as the Livermore Herald, The Bank of Livermore, and the Masonic Hall.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Mills Square Flag Pole (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church Memorial Chapel (approx. mile away); Veteran's Memorial Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Livermore.
 
Also see . . .  Livermore History - McLeod Building. eLivermore.com's visual history of the McLeod Building, showing how the area looked prior to the construction of the Bank of Italy building. (Submitted on April 12, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Bank of Italy Building - Terra Cotta Detail Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 5, 2009
3. Bank of Italy Building - Terra Cotta Detail
The Bank of Italy Building is decorated with terra cotta ornamentation manufactured by the Livermore Fire Brick Works.
Bank of Italy Building - View from West (Across S Livermore Avenue) Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 5, 2009
4. Bank of Italy Building - View from West (Across S Livermore Avenue)
The building currently houses a newspaper, The Livermore Independent.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,972 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement