Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Scottsville in Albemarle County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Historic Scottsville

 
 
Historic Scottsville Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
1. Historic Scottsville Marker
Inscription. In 1745 old Albemarle County was organized at Scott’s landing, its first county seat, here on the great horseshoe bend of the James River. In 1818 the town was incorporated as Scottsville, beginning in 1840 it flourished as the chief port above Richmond for freight and passenger boats on the James River and Kanawha Canal. It played a vital role in the opening up of the west. The 1840s and ’50s were its golden era.
 
Erected 1976 by Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number GA-36.)
 
Location. 37° 47.933′ N, 78° 29.683′ W. Marker is in Scottsville, Virginia, in Albemarle County. Marker is at the intersection of Valley Street (Virginia Route 20) and Main Street (Virginia Route 6), on the left on Valley Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scottsville VA 24590, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hurricane Camille (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scottsville (about 400 feet away); Barclay House and Scottsville Museum (about 500 feet away); Scottsville Confederate Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Hatton Ferry
Historic Scottsville Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
2. Historic Scottsville Marker
The dedication plaque on the flagpole reads “Dedicated in memory of Lion George F. Omohundro, Jr. by the Scottsville Lions Club, September 4, 1994.”
(approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Hatton Ferry (approx. 2.9 miles away); Ferries In Virginia/TheHatton Ferry/Heritage (approx. 3 miles away); Wilson Cary Nicholas (approx. 3.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Scottsville.
 
Also see . . .  Scottsville Transportation. “When the James River and Kanawha Canal opened in 1840 between Richmond and Lynchburg, the era of river navigation in Scottsville ended. Freight could be shipped on the canal more cheaply than by wagon. And the canal furnished an easy, safe, and unobstructed line of communication from east and west as it remained in operation both during floods and in times of low water. Trade in Scottsville grew, and the town’s population rose to about 1000 in 1841. Although the canal remained in operation until 1881, the poorly-kept roads leading to Scottsville hampered wagon traffic that carried freight for the canal. Trade to Scottsville began to decline in the late 1840s, and by 1850, the population of Scottsville slipped to 666.” (Submitted on April 12, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Historic Scottsville Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Amy Martin Wilson, May 20, 2009
3. Historic Scottsville Marker
Valley Street, View North from Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
4. Valley Street, View North from Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 757 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement