Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleveland in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ohio and Erie Canal

 
 
Ohio and Erie Canal Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 12, 2009
1. Ohio and Erie Canal Marker
Inscription. At this site was lock 44, the north terminus of the Ohio and Erie Canal from 1829 to 1872.

Lock 44 as the outlet of the canal into the Cuyahoga River and the first stop in the transportation system which linked the Great Lakes with the Ohio River during the nineteenth century. Across Merwin Street was the canal basin where goods and passengers transferred between the canal boats and the Great Lakes ships.

The canal stretched 309 miles from this point to the Ohio River at Portsmouth and had three branches and four side canals through eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania. It was largely responsible for the development of Cleveland from a small village into an important industrial city.
 
Erected by the City of Cleveland, River's Bend Parks Corp, the George Gund Foundation, the Cleveland Foundation, and the Cleveland Women's City Club Foundation.
 
Location. 41° 29.733′ N, 81° 42.108′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Merwin Avenue and West Street, on the right when traveling south on Merwin Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cleveland OH 44115, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Marker location, by the Cuyahoga River Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck
2. Marker location, by the Cuyahoga River
. Alexis de Tocqueville (within shouting distance of this marker); John D. Rockefeller, 1839-1937 / The Standard Oil Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Stone Church (approx. half a mile away); Near this site Fort Huntington was Erected (approx. half a mile away); Com. Oliver Hazard Perry (approx. half a mile away); Cuyahoga County Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (approx. half a mile away); Dear General, We have met the enemy and they are ours (approx. half a mile away); Navy Bicentennial (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Cleveland.
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 815 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement