Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleveland in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

John D. Rockefeller, 1839-1937 / The Standard Oil Company

 
 
John D. Rockefeller, 1839-1937 Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 12, 2009
1. John D. Rockefeller, 1839-1937
Inscription.
John D. Rockefeller, 1839-1937
Born at Richford, New York, John D. Rockefeller moved to the Cleveland area with his family at age 14. He began his business career as a bookkeeper in 1855. From modest beginnings he became one of the richest men of his era by developing the world's largest oil corporation, the Standard Oil Company, which was founded here in the Flats of Cleveland. Rockefeller moved to New York City in 1884 but maintained two homes in Cleveland, returning often with his wife Laura (1839-1915). Although he was a controversial businessman, Rockefeller donated millions of dollars to Cleveland charities and institutions, and land for Rockefeller and Forest Hills parks. John and Laura Rockefeller are interred in Lake View Cemetery.

The Standard Oil Company
Near this site in 1863 (the northwest corner of Main and River streets), John D. Rockefeller ventured into the new oil business with partner Samuel Andrews, refining kerosene for lamplight. Their first refinery, the Excelsior Works, was located about two miles upriver, south of Kingsbury Run. In 1870 Rockefeller, Andrews, and Henry M. Flagler chartered the Standard Oil Company. Technological innovation and aggressive business practices allowed the corporation to both improve a wasteful industry and control the oil market during its early
The Standard Oil Company Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 12, 2009
2. The Standard Oil Company
boom years; Standard demanded shipping rebates from railroads and undersold competitors, who were either absorbed into the trust or forced out of business. The nature of these business dealings, common in the late 1800s, prompted the passage of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act of 1890.
 
Erected 2003 by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Early Settlers Association of the Western Reserve and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 38-18.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 29.767′ N, 81° 42.053′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is on Merwin Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cleveland OH 44115, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ohio and Erie Canal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alexis de Tocqueville (about 400 feet away); The Old Stone Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Near this site Fort Huntington was Erected (approx. half a mile away); Cuyahoga County Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (approx. half
Marker location, by the Cuyahoga River Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 12, 2009
3. Marker location, by the Cuyahoga River
a mile away); Com. Oliver Hazard Perry (approx. half a mile away); Dear General, We have met the enemy and they are ours (approx. half a mile away); Navy Bicentennial (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Cleveland.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Places
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,598 times since then and 112 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement