Inscription. The civilized world first heard of copper in this area from Texas Rangers after an 1860 campaign against Comanches on the Pease River, about 100 miles to the northwest. The Ranger Captain, Lawrence S. ("Sul") Ross, later to serve Texas as Governor, had nuggets picked off the surface of the ground and hauled to Austin. In 1861, Assistant State Geologist S.B. Buckley charted the mineral site. The Rangers' ore haul was processed and used in gun caps for Confederate forces during the Civil War. To get more of the needed metal, the Texas Copper Mining & Manufacturing Company was founded on May 28, 1864, but wartime shortage of men apparently prevented recovery of copper at that time. The T.C.M.&M. Co., based in Dallas, sent W.F. Cummings to Archer County in 1880 to open mining sites. Although the Texas Commissioner of Agriculture and Statistics reported in 1882 that no mining had commenced, ore eventually was hauled out and shipped to smelters in the east. No central vein or deposit could be found.
By Scott Essary, circa 2008
|1. Archer County Copper Mines Marker|
The Boston & Texas Copper Company of Tucson, Ariz., leased the mine site here in 1899. It produced some copper ore which was processed in El Paso, but again the project failed to meet expectations
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number TX190.)
Location. 33° 38.816′ N, 98° 42.381′ W. Marker is near Archer City, Texas, in Archer County. Marker is on State Highway 25 4.5 miles west of State Highway 79, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. About 4½ miles northwest of Archer City. Marker is in this post office area: Archer City TX 76351, United States of America.
Credits. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2009, by Scott Essary of Archer City, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,715 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on April 13, 2009, by Scott Essary of Archer City, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |