Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleveland in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Camp Cleveland

 
 
Camp Cleveland Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 14, 2009
1. Camp Cleveland Marker
Inscription. Opened in July 1862, the 35 1/2-acre site here in Brooklyn Township's University Heights served as the largest Civil War army camp of rendezvous, organization, and training in northeast Ohio. It was bordered by Hershel (now West 5th) and University (now West 7th) streets and Railway and Marquard avenues. A wartime high of 4,151 volunteers occupied the barracks here on December 5, 1862. Lieutenant William Dustin of the 19th Ohio Volunteer Artillery wrote, "It was a table land above the city and admirably suited to the use of a camp of instruction. It was as level as a floor and carpeted with grass. The capacious pine barracks held about 25 each of the battery's men." A total of 15,230 men trained here during the war--4.9 percent of the 310,646 enlistments in Ohio. More than 11,000 soldiers were discharged here at war's end. It closed in August 1865.
(Continued on other side)

(Continued from other side)
A 320 bed pavilion-style hospital, designated as the United States General Hospital at Cleveland, occupied 3.76 acres on the southeast corner of W 5th Street and Jefferson Avenue. The hospital opened in December 1862; a total of 3,028 soldiers received care for gun shot wounds, illnesses, and diseases before it closed in July 1865, after the end of the Civil War. Some of the 91 deceased patients lie buried in the federally
Camp Cleveland Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 14, 2009
2. Camp Cleveland Marker
owned plots at Woodland Cemetery. All hospital and camp buildings were dismantled in September 1865, and the lumber and government equipment were sold at a public auction.
 
Erected 2003 by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Scotts Company - Founded by a Civil War Veteran, the Early Settlers Association of the Western Reserve, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 74-70.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 29.065′ N, 81° 41.254′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is at the intersection of University Road and West 10th Street, on the right when traveling east on University Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cleveland OH 44113, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Unknown Early Settlers (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chief Joc-O-Sot (approx. 0.9 miles away); In Memory of Those Whose Bodies Were Moved From Ontario Street Cemetry to Erie Street Cemetery (approx. one mile away); John W. Heisman Birth Site (approx. one mile away); Alexis de Tocqueville
Camp Cleveland Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 14, 2009
3. Camp Cleveland Marker
The Cleveland skyline can be seen in the background.
(approx. 1.1 miles away); Cuyahoga County Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); John D. Rockefeller, 1839-1937 / The Standard Oil Company (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ohio and Erie Canal (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cleveland.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
The Cleveland skyline Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 14, 2009
4. The Cleveland skyline
As seen from a spot near the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,123 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement