Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tiffin in Seneca County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Camp Ball

 
 
Camp Ball Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
1. Camp Ball Marker
Inscription. In July 1813 a detachment of soldiers under Lt. Col. James V. Ball built a supply fort here along the military road that ran along the west bank of the Sandusky River. Ball chose this site for its large spring of cold water, which he enclosed within the stockade. Following the War of 1812, settler Erastus Bowe established a house and tavern on the site of Camp Ball. This settlement, in 1817, marks the beginning of both Seneca County and the city of Tiffin.
 
Erected 2000 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Seneca County Historical Society, The Seneca County Museum Foundation, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-74.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 7.069′ N, 83° 10.667′ W. Marker is in Tiffin, Ohio, in Seneca County. Marker is at the intersection of Frost Parkway and Adams Street, on the right when traveling east on Frost Parkway. Click for map. This historical marker is located in Fort Ball Park, between the Sandusky River and Frost Parkway. This park was sponsored by the Tiffin Rotary Club. Marker is in this post office area: Tiffin OH 44883, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Camp Ball Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
2. Camp Ball Marker
The Camp Ball historical marker is located in Tiffin's Fort Ball Park, between the Sandusky River and Frost Parkway.
At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. to Brady's Island / to Battle Island (approx. 6.4 miles away); Fort Seneca (approx. 6.4 miles away); Native American Habitation (approx. 6.6 miles away); Fort Seneca - Harrison Trail (approx. 8.4 miles away); Seneca John, Noted Chief (approx. 13.1 miles away); Portage Trail (approx. 14.1 miles away); Colonel Crawford (approx. 15.6 miles away); Colonel William Crawford / The 1782 Sandusky Campaign (approx. 15.8 miles away but has been reported missing).
 
More about this marker. In the immediate area of this marker there are a number of additional memorials and historical plaques that are associated with Fort Ball. This would include a combination Civil War and War of 1812 monument across the street from the Camp Ball Historical Marker, a Fort Ball plaque on a nearby tree that dates back to the War of 1812, and a combination statue and memorial that commemorates the cold water spring that existed within the walls of Fort Ball.
 
Regarding Camp Ball. Fort Ball was part of a chain of forts that were built by General Harrison, in the Sandusky River Valley, during the War of 1812. These forts were intended to protect the American lines of supply and communication as General Harrison attempted to both position
Camp Ball Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
3. Camp Ball Marker
Across the street from the Camp Ball historical marker is a monument that commemerates both the Civil War and the War of 1812. This monument is bounded on its three sides by Frost Parkway, Adams Street, and North Monroe Street.
and build up his forces while he was seeking the opportunity for an invasion of British controlled Canada.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812
 
Camp Ball Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
4. Camp Ball Marker
This is a close up view of the reference to Fort Ball that is is inscribed on the monument, across the street, from the Camp Ball historical marker.
Camp Ball Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
5. Camp Ball Marker
This plaque regarding Fort Ball is attached to a tree that dates back to the time of Fort Ball, during the War of 1812. It is located within sight of the "Camp Ball" historical marker, just off to the west, on Frost Parkway.
Camp Ball Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
6. Camp Ball Marker
View of tree with Fort Ball plaque in foreground, and the Civil War and War of 1812 memorial is off to the east, in the background.
Camp Ball Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
7. Camp Ball Marker
View of a historical marker that commemorated the cold water spring that provided Fort Ball with its water source.
Camp Ball Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
8. Camp Ball Marker
View of Statute and historical marker, commemorating Fort Ball's cold water spring, that is located within the Fort Ball Park and is situated a short walking distance to the west of the "Camp Ball" historical marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,020 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   8. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement