Lincoln in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
New Hoppert Building
1862 - Small wooden building: "John Cannon, Attorney and Counselor-at-Law."
1870 - Christopher Hoppert buys this parcel and building, plus several to the east and north; opens C.H. Hoppert: Bakery, Saloon, Eating House."
1892 - Hoppert builds "New Hoppert Building" on this site (bakery and home next lot east). First tenants: Levy and Levitt, "Farmer and Mechanics Store"(Clothing, etc.).
1906 - Meat Market: Proprietors in turn, W.P. Adams, W.J. Wyatt, Wyatt & Murch, Jolly and Sons, L. Leavell & Son, L. Browning.
1916 - L Browning, Saloon (until Prohibition).
1920 - "Mac's Pool Hall and Soda Fountain" (Roy McRary) popular rendevous 25 years. Airo's Barber Shop, 1920-24 and 1964-1993
1945 - Fountain: Olan Hare, then C. Hughes, then Woody Wyatt.
1956 - The Town Shop. Wilson Paint Center 1964). Donut shop/snack bar (1965). Kay Gee Cafe (1971). Bill and Sharon's Electric (1973).
1979 - "Sandwich Alley'" Doris & Bob Flocchini, then Diana and Shawn Burke.
This marker provided by Silver Star Parlor #63, Native Sons of the Golden West
Lincoln, California, September 9, 2002
Erected 2002 by Silver
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 53.513′ N, 121° 17.522′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, California, in Placer County. Marker is on Fifth Street near F Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln CA 95648, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beerman Plaza (a few steps from this marker); I O O F Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Fleming Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Emmada Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Butterfield/Jansen Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln World War II Memorial (about 400 feet away); Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson (about 400 feet away); First Clay Pipe Plant in the West (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lincoln.
More about this marker. The marker on the southeast corner of the building - to the right of the entrance.
Regarding New Hoppert Building. The building currently houses a restaurant and catering establishment, "Simple Pleasures".
Also see . . . Feats of Clay magazine has a great Walking Tour. A walking tour of the old part of Lincoln, with descriptions of various historic buildings, including the New Hoppert Building. (Submitted on April 16, 2009.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 703 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 3. submitted on . • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.