Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Conowingo in Cecil County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal

 
 
The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 21, 2007
1. The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal Marker
Inscription. The corporate title of the company authorized in 1783 to build one of the first inland waterways in America. The bed of this canal and some of its stone locks are still visible near this road.
 
Erected by Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal marker series.
 
Location. 39° 38.802′ N, 76° 9.103′ W. Marker is near Conowingo, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is on Susquehanna River Road (U.S. 222) 2 miles south of Conowingo Road (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Conowingo MD 21918, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Susquehannock Indian Fort (approx. 1.1 miles away); Conowingo (approx. 1.6 miles away); Smith’s Falls (approx. 2.3 miles away); Keziah's Diary (approx. 2.5 miles away); Rock Run Mill (approx. 2.7 miles away); Rock Run Landing (approx. 2.7 miles away); Rock Run (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named Rock Run Mill (approx. 2.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
Remains of a Lock image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 21, 2007
2. Remains of a Lock
In 1840, the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal opened on the opposite side of the river.
Remains of Canal image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 21, 2007
3. Remains of Canal
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,528 times since then and 136 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement