Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lowell in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Covered Bridges

 
 
Covered Bridges Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 23, 2008
1. Covered Bridges Marker
Inscription. Lowell was the site of one of ten wooden covered bridges, built from 1820 to 1887, that crossed the Muskingum River from Marietta to Coshocton. The Lowell bridge was built in 1881. Bridges were built out of wood because there was plenty of lumber available, and building with wood was easier and cheaper than using stone. Covers protected the timbers from rain. The bridge connected Lowell, on the north side of the river, with the railroad that ran on the south side. This bridge suffered from many mishaps typical of wooden bridges. In 1882 a storm blew off the roof. In 1884 a flood washed the bridge off its stone piers. The 1913 flood destroyed the Lowell bridge and many other bridges on the river. An iron bridge was built on the site. The last covered bridge on the river, at Conesville seven miles south of Coshocton, was condemned in 1958.
 
Erected 1998 by The Muskingum River Parkway and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 5-84.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 31.591′ N, 81° 30.349′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Ohio, in Washington County. Click for map. Marker is on the east side of
Covered Bridges Marker at Lock #3 image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 23, 2008
2. Covered Bridges Marker at Lock #3
Lowell Lock #3, off Lock Street south of New Bridge Street. Marker is in this post office area: Lowell OH 45744, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lowell Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fortified Settlement (about 400 feet away); The Devola Lock (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Northwest Ordinance, 1787 / The Ohio Company Purchase (approx. 7.6 miles away); Land Office (approx. 7.6 miles away); Merydith House (approx. 7.6 miles away); The American Union Lodge No. 1 Free and Accepted Masons (approx. 7.6 miles away); Campus Martius (approx. 7.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lowell.
 
Regarding Covered Bridges. The Conesville covered bridge, built in 1876, was condemned in 1958 and destroyed by a controlled fire.
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsDisastersWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 824 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement