Elk Grove in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
1872 - 1946
Erected 1977 by Liberty Parlor No. 213, Native Daughters of the Golden West and Elk Grove Parlor No. 41, Native Sons of the Golden West, July 4, 1977.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 23.792′ N, 121° 22.426′ W. Marker is in Elk Grove, California, in Sacramento County. Click for map. Marker is located in the parking area in front of the school on the grounds
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Elk Grove (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lincoln Highway (approx. 0.3 miles away); Independent Order of Odd Fellows (approx. one mile away); Hasman Building/General Store (approx. one mile away); Elitha Cumi Donner - Wilder (approx. one mile away); Site of the First County Free Library Branch in California (approx. 1.1 miles away); Murphy’s Corral (approx. 1.6 miles away); Riot on the Cosumnes (approx. 4.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elk Grove.
Also see . . .
1. Elk Grove Historical Society – Elk Grove Heritage Park. Scroll down through the photos to see what the school looked like prior to it being moved to its new home at Elk Grove Heritage Park. (Submitted on April 17, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. Elk Grove Historical Society – Preserving Our Past. The Rhoads School is a one-room Pioneer School that is now located in the center of Elk Grove Regional Park. (Submitted on April 17, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. School History
The current day Rhoades School is the smallest elementary school in Elk Grove Unified, but it must also be credited with being the oldest school because it stands near the site of the first real school, the original Rhoads School. This school was built by Jared Dixon Sheldon on the Cosumnes River in the 1840s. It was replaced by the new Rhoads School, constructed in 1872. That's the little school that sits today in Elk Grove Park. In the fast paced gold days when miners filled the banks of the Cosumnes, there were many school districts formed to provide education for the children of the families that followed the gold. Districts and their schools named Sebastopol, Katesville, and Live Oak ceased to exist after 1883, but Michigan Bar, Wilson, and Stone House operated until 1947 when they merged as the Cosumnes River Elementary, Rhoads School closed the next year and joined the consolidation. The Cosumnes name is believed to come from ko-sum, a Miwok Indian word for salmon.
Source: Elk Grove Unified School District -- http://www.egusd.k12.ca.us/schools/cosumnes.cfm
— Submitted April 17, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Additional keywords. Gold
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,782 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 9, 10. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.