Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Central College in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Blendon Church Bell

 
 
Blendon Church Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
1. Blendon Church Bell Marker
Inscription. This bell came from the Blendon Presbyterian Church (1830-1865) according to William C. Phelps (1881-1967), a great-great-grandson of Edward Phelps Sr. (1759-1840), first settler of Blendon Twp. and donor of the church land at the southwest corner of Dempsey and Hempstead roads, and great-grandson of Gideon Hart (1795-1859) who furnished timber for the church. The Hart Homestead (1820-1922), 7328 Hempstead Road, was acquired by Emmett Fickell, who located the bell in the barn. In 1941 he gave it to Mr. and Mrs. M. R. McVay, who repaired and preserved it. The bell was presented to the Central College United Presbyterian Church by the McVays at ceremonies sponsored by the Amalthea Historical Society on May 14, 1981.
 
Erected 1981 by Mr. and Mrs. M. R. McVay and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 5.99′ N, 82° 53.382′ W. Marker is in Central College, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Sunbury Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is next to the namesake bell, between the old and new sanctuaries of Central College
Blendon Church Bell and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
2. Blendon Church Bell and Marker
Presbyterian Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 975 S. Sunbury Road, Westerville OH 43081, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ellsworth Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Central College Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarence Boal Hoover / Charles Potter Hoover (approx. 0.6 miles away); Blendon Township War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Blendon Central Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Blendon Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Edward Phelps (approx. 0.9 miles away); Blendon Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Central College.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 645 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement