Fremont in Sandusky County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
War of 1812
Victoriously defended by Major George Croghan. Battle of Fort Stephenson, August 2, 1813.
Built on this spot 1812-1813 and named for Col. Mills Stephenson, one of its builders.
Major George Croghan, age 21, took command in July 1813. He was surrounded Aug. 1 by 2,000 Indians under Tecumseh, bombarded from the river by British ships. He had but 160 men and 1 cannon, Old Betsy. The British under Gen. Henry Proctor with 400 men attacked Aug. 2, were repulsed with heavy loses and retreated to Canada. This ended the war on U.S. soil in the west. Perry's victory on Lake Erie came Sept. 10. Our invasion of Canada followed. Proctor was defeated and Tecumseh killed Oct. 5 in the Battle of the Thames, southern Ontario.
Erected 1972 by The Sandusky County Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-72.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 20.766′ N, 83° 6.936′ W. Marker is in Fremont, Ohio, in Sandusky County. Marker is at the intersection of Croghan Street and High Street, on the right when traveling Click for map. This historical marker is located on the north side of the Birchard Public Library, which was built on the site of Fort Stephenson,. Marker is at or near this postal address: 423 Croghan St., Fremont OH 43420, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Stephenson (a few steps from this marker); Old Betsy (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldier's Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); In Commemoration (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing); Fremont (about 400 feet away); Near This Spot (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Fremont (about 800 feet away); Indian Gantlet and Race Course (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fremont.
More about this marker. This historical marker is located on a rise, over looking the Sandusky River Valley, on the former site of Fort Stephenson, surrounded by a cluster of additional memorials, plaques, and monuments, all of which are there to commemorate the events that took place at Fort Stephenson during the war of 1812.
Regarding Fort Stephenson. As part of his preparations to recapture
The British General Henry Proctor, on the other hand, was seeking to take the battle to the Americans and deal them a set back in their invasion plans. He had been unsuccessful in his attempt to hand the Americans a major defeat in his seige of Fort Meigs on the Maumee River, but rather than returning to Canada and appearing weak to his Native American allies he sought to gain some advantage by attacking what he felt would be a softer and more vulnerable target, the considerably smaller fortification and garrison at Fort Stephenson on the banks of the Sandusky River.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,331 times since then and 116 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 9. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.