Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Indian School at the College of William & Mary

 
 
Indian School at the College of William & Mary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 19, 2009
1. Indian School at the College of William & Mary Marker
Inscription. Using funds from the estate of British scientist Robert Boyle, the College of William & Mary established a school to educate young Indian men in 1697, just four years after the college’s founding. To encourage enrollment, in 1711 Lt. Gov. Alexander Spotswood began remitting tributes for area tribes who sent students. Students from tribes outside Virginia also enrolled. The Brafferton was constructed in 1723 to house the school, which provided education in reading and writing English, arithmetic and religion. The American Revolution caused British financial support to cease in 1776, and soon the school closed.
 
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number W 229.)
 
Location. 37° 16.208′ N, 76° 42.506′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia. Marker is on Jamestown Road (Virginia Route 5) 0.2 miles east of Landrum Drive, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Norborne Berkeley, Baron de Botetourt (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Christopher Wren Building (within shouting distance of this marker); In Gallia Nati Mortui in Virginia
Indian School at the College of William & Mary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 19, 2009
2. Indian School at the College of William & Mary Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Christopher Wren Building (about 300 feet away); Priorities of the College of William and Mary (about 300 feet away); Alumni of the College of William and Mary (about 300 feet away); The College of William and Mary in Virginia (about 400 feet away); College Camp (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
Categories. Colonial EraEducationNative Americans
 
The Brafferton, built in 1723 to house the Indian School. image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 12, 2009
3. The Brafferton, built in 1723 to house the Indian School.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 844 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement