Port Clinton in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
End of Harrison's Trail In Ohio - War of 1812
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
in Ohio - War of 1812
Six miles east is the west-
ern boundary of "The Fire
Lands" - given by Connecticut
to its citizens for property
destroyed by the British
during the Revolution.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C47.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 30.634′ N, 82° 56.558′ W. Marker is in Port Clinton, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of West 3rd Street and Monroe Street, on the right when traveling west on West 3rd Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 181 West 3rd Street, Port Clinton OH 43452, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Mill Stone (approx. 0.3 miles away); American Expedition 1813 (approx. half a mile away); War of 1812 (approx. half a mile away); Old French War - Pontiac's Conspiracy - Revolutionary War / French Expedition, 1754 (approx. Fort Sites / De Lery Portage (approx. 1.7 miles away); Boundary Marker (approx. 6.2 miles away); Medusa Portland Cement Company (approx. 7.4 miles away); South Bass Island Light (approx. 9.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Clinton.
Regarding End of Harrison's Trail In Ohio - War of 1812. As part of his preparations to recapture Detroit and invade Canada, General William Henry Harrison built a chain of forts northward, along both the Sandusky River Valley and the Sandusky-Scioto Trail, from what is now Upper Sandusky, Ohio (Fort Ferree), to what is now Tiffin, Ohio (Fort Ball), to what is now Old Fort, Ohio (Fort Seneca), all the way to what is now Fremont, Ohio (Fort Stephenson). These forts were intended to protect the American lines of supply and communication as General Harrison attempted to both position and build up his forces while he was seeking the opportunity for an invasion of British controlled Canada. Once the opportunity to invade Canada became available, General Harrison planned to march a portion of his invasion force northward, along what became known as the Harrison Trail (originally
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on November 17, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio (Submitted on September 4, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission'. This is a link to information provided by the Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission's website, regarding the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's military trails system and trail markers. (Submitted on March 24, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,287 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.