Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Metter in Candler County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Candler County

 
 
Candler County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Candler County Marker
Inscription. Candler County was created by an Act of the Georgia Legislature July 17, 1914,out of portions of Bulloch, Emanuel and Tattnall Counties, and named for Gov. Allen D. Candler (1834-1910). Gov. Candler is famed for the preservation of Colonial and Confederate records and being the first compiler of State records. Among the first officers of Candler County were Ordinary George R. Trapnell, Sheriff Charles M. Harpen, Superior Court Clerk Joshua Everett, Tax Receiver O.L. Patterson, Tax Collector G.B. Hendricks, Surveyor J.D. McLean, Coroner T.D. Joiner and Treasurer Morgan Holloway.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 021-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 23.836′ N, 82° 3.753′ W. Marker is in Metter, Georgia, in Candler County. Marker is on West Broad Street (State Highway 46) near Nort Kennedy Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. At the Courthouse in Metter. Marker is in this post office area: Metter GA 30439, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. American Legion Armed Forces Tribute (a few steps from this marker);
Candler County Marker, at right , with Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2009
2. Candler County Marker, at right , with Courthouse
National Register of Historic Places Candler County Courthouse ** (added 1980 - Building - #80000984) Courthouse Sq., Metter Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event Architect, builder, or engineer: King Lumber Co., Baldwin,J.J. Architectural Style: Classical Revival Area of Significance: Communications, Architecture, Economics, Law, Politics/Government Period of Significance: 1900-1924 Owner: Local Gov't Historic Function: Government Historic Sub-function: Courthouse Current Function: Government Current Sub-function: Courthouse
Candler County War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Candler County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Sunbury Road (approx. 3.8 miles away); a different marker also named Old Sunbury Road (approx. 9.3 miles away); Oliff, Rushing, Durrence House (approx. 10.2 miles away); Cedar Creek Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 11.1 miles away); Croatan Indian Community (approx. 13.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Metter.
 
Also see . . .  New Georgia Encyclopedia, Candler Country. current courthouse was built in 1921 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. (Submitted on April 24, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
Candler County Namesake, Alan D. Candler image. Click for full size.
By New Georgia Encyclopedia
3. Candler County Namesake, Alan D. Candler
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 965 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement