Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orange in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

James Kilbourne / Anson Williams

 
 
James Kilbourne Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
1. James Kilbourne Marker (Side A)
Inscription. Marker Front:
James Kilbourne
and
The Columbus and Sandusky Turnpike
James Kilbourne, an Ohio pioneer who led settlers to the Worthington area in 1803, was born in Connecticut in 1770 and died in Ohio in 1850. In 1805 he was appointed to a federal district surveyor position in charge of 4,800 square miles from Delaware County to Lake Erie. He surveyed and laid out several towns and 100 miles of roadway for the Columbus and Sandusky Turnpike, which was completed in 1834. Famed novelist Charles Dickens wrote of the road, “A great portion of the way was over what is called a corduroy road, which is made by throwing trunks of trees into a marsh, and leaving them to settle there.” Despite its early difficulties, Anson Williams saw potential benefit to having a tavern and hotel on the turnpike. Besides being a surveyor, Kilbourne served Ohio as a U.S. Representative and later as a member of the Ohio General Assembly.

Marker Reverse:
Anson Williams
and
The Village of Williamsville
Anson Williams visited Ohio in 1834 before he moved to Orange Township. A former resident of New York State, Williams purchased this site and the surrounding 1,000 acres of U.S. Military District lands and hoped to find opportunity for himself and his family.
Anson Williams Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
2. Anson Williams Marker (Side B)
He bought the land for $6.00 an acre from James D. Wolf, who owned the 4,000-acre section three of Orange Township. The Village of Williamsville was laid out with 80 lots in 1836 on both sides of the Columbus and Sandusky Turnpike. Williams built his home and a hotel with a store and tavern. A hotel and tavern, owned by George Gooding and where the stage changed horses, had already been established north of Williamsville. Competition may have led to Williamsville's decline. A church was built in 1845 and remained until 1900. Anson died in 1847, and his wife Hannah passed away in 1851. Both are buried in nearby Williamsville Cemetery.
 
Erected 2003 by Anson Williams Family Descendents and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-21.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 10.296′ N, 83° 1.295′ W. Marker is in Orange, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is on Columbus Pike (U.S. 23). Click for map. Marker is at the entrance to Kingwood Memorial Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8230 Columbus Pike, Lewis Center OH 43035, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kingwood Memorial Park Veterans Memorial
James Kilbourne / Anson Williams Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
3. James Kilbourne / Anson Williams Marker
Looking northeast across US Rt 23 in background.
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Four Chaplains (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Gooding House and Tavern / Rural Taverns in Early Ohio History (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Union Land Company and the Case Family / The Olentangy River Road (approx. 1.7 miles away); Liberty Presbyterian Church / Nathan Carpenter (approx. 2.3 miles away); Flint Veterans Garden (approx. 2.8 miles away); Powell WW I Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); Africa Community (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Orange.
 
Regarding James Kilbourne / Anson Williams. Williamsville Cemetery, mentioned on the marker, is just to the south, on the opposite side of the road.
 
Also see . . .  Biography of Kilbourne from Ohio History Central. (Submitted on April 27, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Anson Williams Headstone in Williamsville Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 7, 2009
4. Anson Williams Headstone in Williamsville Cemetery
Williams Family Headstones in Williamsville Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 7, 2009
5. Williams Family Headstones in Williamsville Cemetery
(l to r, in foreground) Henry (son), Hannah (wife), and Anson Williams.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,420 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   4, 5. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement