Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Braselton in Jackson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Braselton School Bell

 
 
The Braselton School Bell Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, September 16, 2006
1. The Braselton School Bell Marker
Inscription. Originally located in the bell tower of the Braselton High School, the bell was commissioned by Senator Isaac Frank Duncan for all students from 1920 until 1957. The school was built by the Town of Braseltonís founders, and when it closed in 1957, the bell was returned to Senator Duncanís family.

The bell was later donated to the Town by the children of Green and May Braselton who were the Senatorís grandchildren.

The restored school bell is a symbol of pride for Braselton, where generations heard its sound for school and community events. It is rededicated by the Mayor and Council in 2004.

The gazebo housing the bell is made possible by the civic generosity of Tom Bowen, the Braselton Rotary Club, Earl H. Graham, Mayor Pat Graham, D.G. Jenkins Corporation and Select Brokers.
 
Location. 34° 6.433′ N, 83° 45.717′ W. Marker is in Braselton, Georgia, in Jackson County. Marker is on Green Street (Georgia Route 53) 0 miles south of Frances street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located just north of (and adjoining) the Braselton City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4982 Highway 53, Braselton GA 30517, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
The Braselton School Bell Marker, Bell, and Gazebo Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 17, 2009
2. The Braselton School Bell Marker, Bell, and Gazebo
. The Braselton Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Hoschton Train Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bethabra Baptist Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Battle of King's Tanyard (approx. 5 miles away); Rockwell Universalist Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Perry-Rainey Institute (approx. 7.6 miles away); Jackson Trail (approx. 7.7 miles away); Winder's Most Historical Site (approx. 8.1 miles away).
 
Categories. 20th CenturyEducationPolitical Subdivisions
 
The Braselton School Bell Marker, Bell, and Gazebo Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 17, 2009
3. The Braselton School Bell Marker, Bell, and Gazebo
The Braselton School Bell Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 17, 2009
4. The Braselton School Bell
The W. H. Braselton Home Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 17, 2009
5. The W. H. Braselton Home
The Braselton home, built c.1909, is now used as the Braselton Town Hall. The Braselton School Bell and Marker are on the grounds of the Town Hall.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,005 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement