Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hoschton in Jackson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Hoschton Train Depot

 
 
Hoschton Train Depot Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 17, 2009
1. Hoschton Train Depot Marker
Inscription. The four Hosch brothers founded Hoschton in 1881 in the hope of influencing the proposed route of the Gainesville, Jefferson and Southern Railroad. In 1833 this depot was built on land donated by the brothers. The railroad transformed the town and surrounding areas, serving as a catalyst for the development of commerce, agriculture, education, industry, communications, and transportation. The railroad provided a link with other Georgia communities, opened the market for the regionís agricultural products, made manufactured goods widely available, and stimulated the growth of businesses, churches, schools, and the town itself. Train service ended in 1947.
 
Erected 2002 by Georgia Historical Society, the City of Hoschton, Hoschton Womenís Civic Club, and Hosch Family Descendants. (Marker Number 78-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 5.841′ N, 83° 45.683′ W. Marker is in Hoschton, Georgia, in Jackson County. Marker is on Washington Street (Georgia Route 53) 0 miles north of Broad Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hoschton GA 30548, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8
Hoschton Train Depot Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, May 17, 2004
2. Hoschton Train Depot Marker
The marker in its original position, adjacent to Highway 53 (the road visible to the right).
other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Braselton Family (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Braselton School Bell (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bethabra Baptist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Battle of King's Tanyard (approx. 4.3 miles away); Rockwell Universalist Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Perry-Rainey Institute (approx. 7 miles away); Winder's Most Historical Site (approx. 7.4 miles away); Concord Methodist Cemetery (approx. 7.5 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker was originally installed on Georgia Highway 53 at the old depot. It has recently been moved to the rear of the depot, at the entrance from the parking lot.
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsRailroads & Streetcars
 
Hoschton Train Depot Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 17, 2009
3. Hoschton Train Depot Marker
Hoschton Train Depot and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 17, 2009
4. Hoschton Train Depot and Marker
Hoschton Train Depot and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 17, 2009
5. Hoschton Train Depot and Marker
Viewed from the parking lot; the original location of the marker is to the right of the Depot, adjoining Highway 53.
National Register of Historic Places Plaque Photo, Click for full size
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, October 2, 2009
6. National Register of Historic Places Plaque
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,418 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   6. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement