Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fork Union in Fluvanna County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fork Union Baptist Church

 
 
Fork Union Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
1. Fork Union Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Fork Union Baptist Church was constituted in 1798. Presbyterian, Episcopal, Methodist, and Baptist congregations shared as a place of worship the current church, built in 1824 and first known as the Brick Meetinghouse. Gen. John Hartwell Cocke, a local plantation owner who assisted Thomas Jefferson in establishing the University of Virginia, was its architect. It is the oldest Church building in Fluvanna County in continuous use for that purpose. In 1898, ten of its members became the original guarantors of Fork Union Military Academy. The church sanctuary was the site of the first and subsequent academy graduations until 1937.
 
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number GA-39.)
 
Location. 37° 45.78′ N, 78° 15.758′ W. Marker is in Fork Union, Virginia, in Fluvanna County. Marker is at the intersection of James Madison Highway (U.S. 15) and West River Road (Virginia Route 6), on the right when traveling south on James Madison Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fork Union VA 23055, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fork Union Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Abraham Seay
Fork Union Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
2. Fork Union Baptist Church Marker
The nearby Fork Union Academy marker can be seen in the distance in front of the white house.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Fork Union Military Academy (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fluvanna County World War Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); Point of Fork (approx. 2 miles away); John Jasper (approx. 3.5 miles away); Bremo (approx. 3.8 miles away); Buckingham County / Fluvanna County (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fork Union.
 
Also see . . .  An Historical Sketch of Fork Union Baptist Church. (PDF) By A. Paul Thompson and Clarence W. Kritzer. “The present meetinghouse (our present church), built in 1824, was known for years as the ‘Brick meetinghouse.’ It was constructed at its present location to offer a place of worship at some central point within the fork neighborhood. This meetinghouse was not built as a Baptist meetinghouse; it was a union meetinghouse. The Presbyterians had use of the house on the first Sunday of the month, the Baptists on the second Sunday, the Episcopalians the third Sunday and the Methodists the fourth Sunday.” (Submitted on April 26, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Fork Union Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 8, 2009
3. Fork Union Baptist Church
This is the view from Route 6.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 791 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of historical aspects of the church • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement