Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sunbury in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Sunbury, Ohio / Sunbury Town Hall

 
 
Sunbury, Ohio Marker (Side A) Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
1. Sunbury, Ohio Marker (Side A)
Inscription. Side A:
Sunbury, Ohio
“An Ohio Stagecoach Town from 1820-1873”
From its beginning in 1816, Sunbury was destined to be a stagecoach town. Anticipating large numbers of stagecoach travelers in Sunbury, the town's founder, Lawrence Myers, built an inn at the intersection of two major stagecoach routes (the Old Walhonding Trail and the Delaware Newark Pike). In 1820, the first stagecoach arrived in Sunbury from Mt. Vernon. Famous stagecoach travelers who stopped in Sunbury included William Henry Harrison, Rutherford B. Hayes, Henry Clay, and Johnny Appleseed. Railway travel became more prevalent, and consequently the last stagecoach rolled out of Sunbury in 1873.

Side B:
Sunbury Town Hall
1868
When Sunbury was platted in 1816, a town square was set aside for public use with the intention of constructing a town hall on the site. The first two stories of the Town Hall were built, as a school, in 1868 for $5,000. The Masons added the third story for $1,500 and occupied it for 91 years, until a lodge was constructed. Since 1868, the Town Hall has served Sunbury as a village office building, jail, fire station, and community library. Church services as well as Farmer's Institutes were held in the building, and at one time it housed a bank. In 2002, the Town Hall
Sunbury Town Hall Marker (Side B) Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
2. Sunbury Town Hall Marker (Side B)
was renovated for use as a community room and village offices.
 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Sunbury Fund of the Delaware County Community Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-21.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 14.517′ N, 82° 51.563′ W. Marker is in Sunbury, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of Granville Street and Columbus Street, on the left when traveling east on Granville Street. Click for map. Marker is on the south grounds of the town hall. Marker is in this post office area: Sunbury OH 43074, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sunbury Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ohio Fallen Heroes Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Gen. Wm. S. Rosecrans (approx. 3.3 miles away); McDannald Pioneer Homestead (approx. 5.7 miles away); Africa Community
Sunbury, Ohio / Sunbury Town Hall Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 28, 2008
3. Sunbury, Ohio / Sunbury Town Hall Marker
Town Hall in background.
(approx. 6.8 miles away); Former Site of Berlin School (approx. 6.8 miles away); Sharp Family Homes (approx. 8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sunbury.
 
Categories. AgricultureChurches, Etc.GovernmentIndustry & CommerceLandmarksNotable PersonsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 2,127 times since then and 108 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement