Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Polo Grounds

 
 
Polo Grounds Marker image. Click for full size.
By Erik Lander, November 21, 2005
1. Polo Grounds Marker
Inscription. Approximate location of home plate.

Home of the New York Giants national baseball league 1890–1957.

World Champions 1904 1905 1921 1922 1933 1954.

The Giants shared this field with the New York Yankees 1913–1922.

The New York Mets played here 1962–1963.
 
Location. 40° 49.926′ N, 73° 56.148′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on West 159th Street just west of Frederick Douglass Boulevard (8th Avenue), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10039, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The John T. Brush Stairway (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morris-Jumel Mansion (approx. mile away); a different marker also named Morris-Jumel Mansion (approx. mile away); Middle Redoubt of the American Army 1776 (approx. half a mile away); Joseph Paul Dimaggio (approx. half a mile away); Elston Gene Howard (approx. half a mile away); George M Steinbrenner III (approx. half a mile away); Joseph Vincent McCarthy (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in New York.
 
More about this marker. It is located on the grounds of
Post Card of the Polo Grounds image. Click for full size.
2. Post Card of the Polo Grounds
the Polo Grounds Towers apartment complex.
 
Also see . . .
1. Polo Grounds IV. Tenants: New York Giants (NL) 1911-1957; New York Yankees (AL) 1913-1922; New York Mets (NL) 1962-1963 Opened: June 28, 1911 First night game: May 24, 1940 Last game: September 18, 1963 Capacity: 34,000 (1911); 55,000 (1923) Demolished: April 10, 1964” (Submitted on April 26, 2009.) 

2. The Eddie Grant Memorial Plaque. This memorial plaque was originally located in the Polo Grounds. The plaque was removed when the New York Giants vacated the Polo Grounds in 1957. The whereabouts of the plaque were unknown until it was discovered in the attic of a Ho Ho Kus, NJ home in 1999. The San Francisco Giants installed a replacement plaque in AT&T Park which was built in 2000. (Submitted on May 29, 2010, by Mary Ellen Coghlan of Warwick, New York.) 
 
Categories. Sports
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Erik Lander of Brooklyn, New York. This page has been viewed 2,713 times since then and 194 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Erik Lander of Brooklyn, New York.   2. submitted on , by Mary Ellen Coghlan of Warwick, New York. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of the area showing the marker in the distance. • Exact GPS location • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement