Powhatan in Powhatan County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Powhatan Court House
April 4, 1865
—Lee’s Retreat —
After Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant broke through Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee’s lines at Petersburg on April 2, 1865, Lee ordered the evacuation of Petersburg and Richmond. The Army of Northern Virginia retreated west on several roads, with Grant in pursuit. Lee planned to turn south and join Gen. Joseph E. Johnston in North Carolina, but Grant kept part of his force between Lee and his objective. On April 9, surrounded at Appomattox Court House, Lee surrendered.
Gen. Richard S. Ewell led his infantry column out of the Confederate capital on the morning of April 3, marching southwest to Amelia Court House, to rendezvous with the rest of the army. His subordinate, Gen. G.W. Custis Lee (Gen. Robert E. Lee’s eldest son), soon followed with reserves and heavy artillerymen armed as infantry. Sailors and marines joined his command later.
On reaching Genito Road, Ewell turned north to Tomahawk Baptist Church, where he bivouacked nearby for the evening. Lee’s wagon train, however. chose a parallel route, following the Buckingham Road through Coalfield Station (Midlothian), then here to Powhatan Court House. Farther west near Meadeville, the train crossed the Appomattox River at Clementown Bridge and then was attacked by Federal cavalry before reaching Amelia Court House.
Erected by Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 32.496′ N, 77° 55.126′ W. Marker is in Powhatan, Virginia, in Powhatan County. Marker is on Old Buckingham Road (Virginia Route 13) 0.1 miles south of Courthouse Tavern Lane, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3880 Old Buckingham Road, Powhatan VA 23139, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Powhatan Courthouse (here, next to this marker); The Court House (a few steps from this marker); Giles's Home (approx. 1.6 miles away); Mohemenco (A Monacan Village) and Drake House (approx. 4.9 miles away); Dunlora Academy (approx. 5.4 miles away); Shiloh Baptist Church (approx. 6 miles away); Ewell Crosses the Appomattox (approx. 6.4 miles away); Lee's Final Bivouac (approx. 6.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Powhatan.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a photo of "Powhatan County Courthouse". On the upper right is a map showing the route of Ewell’s retreat. On the middle center are photos of "Gen. Richard S. Ewell" and "Gen. G.W. Custis Lee".
Also see . . . Civil War Traveler - Central Virginia: Richmond and Area. Powhatan County.Powhatan Court House. (Submitted on May 18, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 882 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.