Tipp City in Miami County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Miami and Erie Canal Lock 15
This section of the Miami and Erie Canal, constructed from 1833-1837, was vital to this region's commerce and development. It allowed for farmers and businesses to get their goods to larger markets at a lower cost and faster speed than by hauling overland. Passengers could also travel across the area by canal boat. John Clark saw the location of the Lock 15, situated in Monroe Township at the junction of the Milton-Carlisle Pike (Main Street), as an opportunity and in 1840, platted the new town of Tippecanoe City (now Tipp City). Many types of commerce and trade grew up around the canal including boarding houses, saloons, a tannery, and a mill. Some of the original buildings still stand, such as a mill to the west of Lock 15, John Clark's home at the southeast corner of Main and First streets, and the hotel at the northeast corner of Main and Second streets.
Erected 2007 by Miami County Milestones Committee, Miami County Foundation, Troy Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 24-55.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the The Miami & Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 39° 57.691′ N, 84° 10.045′ W. Marker is in Tipp City, Ohio, in Miami County. Marker is on Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in Canal Lock Park, just east of the Tipp Roller Mills. Marker is at or near this postal address: 325 E. Main Street, Tipp City OH 45371, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tipp City Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hyattsville (approx. WACO Aircraft Company (approx. 4 miles away); Thomas Cemetery / Abraham Thomas (approx. 4.3 miles away); Elizabeth Township (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Village of Tadmor / The National Road (approx. 4.5 miles away); Phoneton (approx. 4.8 miles away); a different marker also named Phoneton (approx. 4.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tipp City.
Also see . . . Ohio’s Historic Canals. Tipp City. Lock 15, of stone masonry, just N of Main Street. Picturesque old grist mill structure adjacent. (Submitted on April 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,920 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. 7. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.