Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colma in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Old Colma Railroad Station

Freight Building

 

—Circa 1881 —

 
Old Colma Railroad Freight Depot Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2009
1. Old Colma Railroad Freight Depot Marker
Inscription. In 1870, Southern Pacific Railroad assumed ownership of the San Francisco and San Jose Railroad, which had originally been opened as an independent railroad in 1863. The second stop south of San Francisco, in what was the center of the larger Northern San Mateo County area historically known as Colma was called the Schoolhouse Stop. The name for the station came from the nearby one-room schoolhouse on San Pedro Road, the most recognizable landmark in the rural landscape at the time. Schoolhouse Stop was one of twenty-one stops built between San Francisco and San Jose. In 1881, Southern Pacific constructed the freight shed adjacent to the Schoolhouse Stop. The freight shed was used for storing and shipping the abundant agricultural produce grown in Northern San Mateo County including cabbage, brussel sprouts, flowers and grain. San Mateo County had become the top producer of cabbage, shipping to Chicago and other eastern cities. An article in the San Francisco Chronicle, dated March 1893, described how, in February 1893, just over one million pounds of cabbage were weighed and shipped out of the Schoolhouse Station.
 
Location. 37° 40.929′ N, 122° 27.349′ W. Marker is in Colma, California, in San Mateo County. Marker can be reached from Hillside Boulevard
Old Colma Railroad Freight Depot Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2009
2. Old Colma Railroad Freight Depot
near F Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1500 Hillside Boulevard, Daly City CA 94014, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Old Colma Railroad Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad Semaphore Signal (within shouting distance of this marker); Mount Olivet Cemetery Office and Streetcar Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Colma Historical Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Colma City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Joe Cavalli – Historical Site (approx. 0.9 miles away); Molloy’s Springs (approx. 0.9 miles away); Where Daly City Started (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Colma.
 
More about this marker. Marker is located on the grounds of the Colma History Museum at Mount Olivet Cemetery.
 
Additional comments.
1. Freight Shed – circa 1881
Initially located near the Train Depot (and later attached to the Depot), it was used for storing and shipping the abundant agricultural produce grown in Northern San Mateo County. It now contains exhibits of Colma monument companies, both past and present, stories of Colma flower shops, and items relating to the agricultural heritage of the area.
    — Submitted April 28, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,060 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement