Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fairfax Station in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Mary’s Catholic Church

 
 
St. Mary's Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 18, 2006
1. St. Mary's Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. Dedicated September 19, 1858 by Rt. Rev. John McGill, Bishop of Richmond. — Catholic workers, who were employed in building the Fairfax Railroad pass, began work on the structure in 1856. They were assisted by members of the nearby Hamill family. Shortly after the dedication, Norther Virginia was ravaged by the Civil War, resulting in the church being requisitioned as a shelter for the wounded. Here, under the direction of Clara Barton, the idea of the Red Cross was developed. The original pews were removed during the winter of 1861-2 and used as firewood, but were replaced by President Grant. Funeral services for General Philip Kearney, killed at Chantilly, were held in the church yard. Later Gen. Robert E. Lee returned the body to the Federal lines, together with the slain officer's horse and saddle.
 
Erected 1961 by Porto Caravan Order of Alhambra.
 
Location. 38° 48.152′ N, 77° 19.614′ W. Marker is in Fairfax Station, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker can be reached from Fairfax Station Road west of Ox Road (Virginia Route 123), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at the edge of and facing the parking lot, to the left of the walkway to the church. Marker is in this post
St. Mary's Catholic Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 18, 2006
2. St. Mary's Catholic Church and Marker
office area: Fairfax Station VA 22039, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Skirmish at St. Mary’s (within shouting distance of this marker); Clara H. Barton (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fairfax Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fairfax Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fairfax Nike Missile Site (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fairfax Station.
 
Also see . . .
1. Saint Mary of Sorrows -- Fairfax Station, VA. Brief history, on the church's website. (Submitted on March 19, 2006.) 

2. Oldest Catholic Church In Fairfax. Article in TravelLady Magazine by Marian Betancourt. (Submitted on March 19, 2006.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.LandmarksRailroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil
 
Plaques to the Left of the Door image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 18, 2006
3. Plaques to the Left of the Door
Top: In this Church of St. Mary's, August 31 – Sept. 1, 1862, the founder of the American Red Cross, Clara H. Barton, nursed the wounded and dying soldiers from the Second Battle of Manassas and the engagement near Chantilly. Bottom: St. Mary's Church has been registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark pursuant to the authority vested in the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission; Act of 1966.
Tablet to the Right of the Door image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 18, 2006
4. Tablet to the Right of the Door
On September 18, 1983 a Solemn Mass was celebrated on these historic grounds to commemorate the 125th anniversary of St. Mary's as a parish. Most Rev John R. Keating, Bishop of Arlington; Rev. Severin Lopez, C.M.F., Pastor. 1858–1983.
St. Mary's Church, Fairfax Station Virginia image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 18, 2006
5. St. Mary's Church, Fairfax Station Virginia
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,230 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement