Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colma in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Molloy’s Springs

(Old Brooksville Hotel)

 
 
Molloy’s Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2009
1. Molloy’s Springs Marker
Inscription.
Built by Peter Brooks in 1883, serving the needs of tourists, local citizens, mourners, partyers, Clampers, and a host of others ever since.
Dedicated January 15, 1983
by
Yerba Buena No.1 – Joaquin Murrieta No.13
Sam Brannan No.1004, Monterey Viejo No.1846,
Mountain Charlie No.1850,
Chapters of the
Ancient and Honorable Order
of
E. Clampus Vitus
And So Recorded

 
Erected 1983 by Yerba Buena No.1 – Joaquin Murrieta No.13, Sam Brannan No.1004, Monterey Viejo No.1846, Mountain Charlie No.1850, Chapters of E. Clampus Vitus.
 
Location. 37° 40.21′ N, 122° 27.06′ W. Marker is in Colma, California, in San Mateo County. Marker is on Mission Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. This marker is located at the entrance to Molloy's Springs Tavern. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1665 Mission Road, Daly City CA 94014, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joe Cavalli – Historical Site (a few steps from this marker); Colma City Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Colma Railroad Station (approx.
Molloy’s Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2009
2. Molloy’s Springs Marker
0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Old Colma Railroad Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); Railroad Semaphore Signal (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mount Olivet Cemetery Office and Streetcar Line (approx. 0.9 miles away); Colma Historical Museum (approx. 0.9 miles away); Where Daly City Started (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Colma.
 
Additional comments.
1. Molloy's Springs
Originally called the Brooks & Carey Saloon and later the Brooksville Hotel, this historic landmark is now known as Molloy's Tavern. It was built in 1883 along the Southern Pacific Railroad line to house workers who were engaged in cemetery building. It is the oldest commercial establishment in continuous operation in Colma. Frank Molloy purchased the building from Patrick Brooks in 1929. It has long been recognized as the center of Colma's Irish community. Today its walls are decorated with historic photographs and documents. Still, in the hands of the Molloy family, funeral parties congregate here to give a final toast to the departed.
Molloy’s Springs Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2009
3. Molloy’s Springs Tavern
    — Submitted April 15, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.

 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 907 times since then and 110 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement