Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gilroy in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Rucker School Historical Site 1894

 
 
Rucker School Historical Site 1894 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 25, 2009
1. Rucker School Historical Site 1894 Marker
Inscription. The Catherine Dunn Ranch once part of the Rancho San Francisco de Las Llagas Spanish land grant was divided in 1893 and sold to early settlers to form Rucker Township.

Education was especially important to these pioneers who had been through dreadfully tough times. They worked hard to raise $5,000 in 1894 to build Rucker School and community center. The once two story building provided the physical assurance that their children would have access to an excellent education and better life.

The 1906 earthquake damaged the bell tower. Twice in the following years the school burned to the ground. Everything gone, except this strong and solid BELL still serving today as the spirit and strength of this community and faculty. Rucker School has been known for academic enrichment through theater arts since its humble beginning. The School was unified in 1966. We are lucky as most small country schools were closed and students bussed to town.

This bell rings out clear each year on graduation day as testament to the maturity of the students through the steadfast efforts of this community and Ruckerís excellent teachers.
Dedicated Saturday Feb. 20, 2009
Mountain Charlie Chapter 1850 E Clampus Vitus
Right Wrongs Nobody

 
Erected 2009 by Mountain Charlie
Rucker School Bell and Historical Site 1894 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 25, 2009
2. Rucker School Bell and Historical Site 1894 Marker
Chapter 1850, E. Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 37° 3.224′ N, 121° 35.232′ W. Marker is in Gilroy, California, in Santa Clara County. Click for map. Marker and bell are located on the grounds of the Rucker School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 325 Santa Clara Avenue, Gilroy CA 95020, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin Family Ranch (approx. 0.2 miles away); Community of San Martin (approx. 2.5 miles away); Coyote Lake – Harvey Bear Ranch County Park (approx. 3.2 miles away); Pioneering Murphy Family (approx. 3.2 miles away); Gilroy Carnegie Library (approx. 3.3 miles away); “Alcalde” (approx. 3.4 miles away); Old City Hall (approx. 3.4 miles away); Butterfield Overland Stage (approx. 3.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Gilroy.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia Article on “Ruckers Township”, California. (Submitted on April 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Categories. EducationNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Rucker School Bell image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 25, 2009
3. Rucker School Bell
Second Marker at School image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 25, 2009
4. Second Marker at School
RUCKER SCHOOL
Gilroy Unified School District
1894-1935
1936-1991
Reconstructed 1992
Board of Education
John H. Arvizu
Mac Bradshaw
Mary Ann Bruegmann
John Call/Kathleen Smith
E. Gene Gewin
Richard Rodriguez
Gary V. Sanchez

Kenneth A. Noonan, Superintendent
Allan Walter & Associates, Architects
Bruns Belmont Construction, General Contractor
Rucker School image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 25, 2009
5. Rucker School
Second marker can be seen on the left pillar.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,058 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement