“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Millwood in Clarke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)


Millwood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
1. Millwood Marker
Inscription. This village developed around two late-18th-century gristmills and Nathaniel Burwell’s Carter Hall plantation, one of the preeminent estates in the area. The Burwell-Morgan Mill in the center of the village was a commercial gristmill, while the Carter Hall Mill served the plantation. In 1865, Confederate Col. John S. Mosby discussed terms of surrender in the J.H. Clarke house and tavern (1842) located across the road. After the Civil War, Millwood included a community of freed blacks with a school and several churches. The village retains many late-19th-and early-20th-century stores and dwellings.
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number T 16.)
Location. 39° 4.197′ N, 78° 2.294′ W. Marker is in Millwood, Virginia, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of Millwood Road / Old Route 50 (Virginia Route 723) and Bishop Meade Road (Virginia Route 255), on the right when traveling west on Millwood Road / Old Route 50. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2009 Millwood Road, Millwood VA 22646, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Burwell-Morgan Mill (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carter Hall
J.H. Clarke House and Tavern (1842) image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
2. J.H. Clarke House and Tavern (1842)
Col. John S. Mosby setup a meeting to negotiate surrender on April 20, 1865. It stands directly across the street from the marker.
(approx. ¼ mile away); Greenway Historic District (approx. ¾ mile away); Blandy Experimental Farm (approx. 1.3 miles away); Long Branch (approx. 1.5 miles away); Vinyard Fight (approx. 1.9 miles away); Saratoga (approx. 2 miles away); Town of Boyce (approx. 2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Millwood.
Also see . . .  Millwood National Historic District Registration. (PDF) Details structures in the Millwood historic district. (Submitted on July 22, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
Categories. Civil RightsColonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
Downtown Millwood image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 8, 2007
3. Downtown Millwood
Looking west on Millwood Road, to the left is the entrance for the Burwell-Morgan Mill. Locke Store (dating from the mid-19th century) is the white building on the opposite side of the street. The Post Office stands at the head of the street.
Millwood Community Center image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 15, 2007
4. Millwood Community Center
Stands around a half mile west of the marker. It was originally built as an African-American school in 1910 and replaced an earlier school dating to the 1860s. It is now a community center.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,677 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement