Dillon in Dillon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Main Street Methodist Church
The first sanctuary here, a brick cruciform church in the Gothic Revival style, was designed by Charlotte architect Oliver D. Wheeler (1864–1942). Completed in 1914, it only stood seven months before it burned in January 1915. The congregation worshipped in the courthouse until a new church was built. Wheeler also designed the present sanctuary, which duplicates his original design and was completed in 1916.
Erected 2003 by the congregation. (Marker Number 17-13.)
Location. 34° 24.93′ N, 79° 22.122′ W. Marker is in Dillon, South Carolina, in Dillon County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (State Highway 9) and 6th Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 E Main St, Dillon SC 29536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Town of Dillon / Florence Railroad Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Duncan McLaurin (approx. ¼ mile away); Dillon County / Dillon County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); James W. Dillon (approx. 0.4 miles away); James W. Dillon House Museum (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pee Dee Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Saint Paul Methodist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Vidalia Academy (approx. 6.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dillon.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.