Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bellville in Evans County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bellville

 
 
Bellville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
1. Bellville Marker
Inscription. This town, named for area pioneer Frances Bell Smith, was founded in 1890 on property owned by Pulaski Sikes Smith, John M. Wood, and Benjamin Berrien Brewton in then Tattnall County. Town lots were platted adjacent to the newly laid tracks of the Savannah & Western Railroad. The railroad depot, constructed soon after the tracks were laid, served as the town`s center of commerce and social activity. Bellville rapidly gained importance as a regional transportation hub for agricultural and timber products such as cotton, naval stores, and lumber, and as the home of Bellville Academy,established in 1890.
 
Erected 2000 by The Georgia Historical Society and the City of Bellville. (Marker Number 54-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 9.137′ N, 81° 58.468′ W. Marker is in Bellville, Georgia, in Evans County. Marker is at the intersection of John B Gordon St.(Ga 292) and Ga 169, on the right when traveling east on John B Gordon St.(Ga 292). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellville GA 30414, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Claxton First United Methodist Church
Bellville Marker, looking westward from route Ga 169 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2009
2. Bellville Marker, looking westward from route Ga 169
(approx. 3.8 miles away); Dedicated to All Who Served (approx. 4 miles away); Evans County (approx. 4 miles away); Daisy United Methodist Church (approx. 8 miles away); Old Sunbury Road (approx. 8.4 miles away); Cedar Creek Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 9.6 miles away); Old Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 9.7 miles away); Oliff, Rushing, Durrence House (approx. 9.7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The Bellville population was 130 at the 2000 census
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & CommerceNotable PlacesRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Bellville Marker and Depot as seen along John B Gordon Street (Ga 292) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2009
3. Bellville Marker and Depot as seen along John B Gordon Street (Ga 292)
Bellville Railroad Depot image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2009
4. Bellville Railroad Depot

Established 1890s
Purchased - 1996
[ List : Mayor and Council ]
Renovated 1999-2000
[ List : Mayor and Council ]
Dedicated to the Memory of-
Hines Daniel Mayor 1959-1979
Jerry Coleman Mayor 1979-1999
September 9, 2000
City of Bellville
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 915 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement