Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dallas in Gaston County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Gaston County Courthouse

 
 
First Gaston County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, May 2, 2009
1. First Gaston County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. On This square was located the Courthouse of Gaston County from 1847 until the County seat was moved to Gastonia in 1911. The first structure, built of logs, was replaced by a brick building in 1848. The interior of this latter building, together with many of the public records, was destroyed by fire in 1874; but it was rebuilt within the original walls in 1875. Gaston County was established in 1846, and comprises lands which were formerly a part of Lincoln County. It was named for Judge William Gaston, of New Bern, who wrote the official song of the State of North Carolina the town of Dallas was named for George Mifflin Dallas, Vice President of the United States, 1845-49. The land of which this former County seat was built was donated to Gaston County by Jesse Holland.
 
Erected by Dallas Woman,s Club-Gaston County Historical Society William Chronicle and William Gaston chapters D.A.R.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 35° 18.961′ N, 81° 10.582′ W. Marker is in Dallas, North Carolina, in Gaston County. Marker is on N Gaston St. (County Route 2278). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dallas NC 28034, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
First Gaston County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, May 2, 2009
2. First Gaston County Courthouse Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vietnam Memorial (a few steps from this marker); William C. Friday (a few steps from this marker); Gaston County Courthouse (former) (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Hoffman Hotel 1852 (within shouting distance of this marker); Rhyne Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Dallas (within shouting distance of this marker); Smyre - Pasour House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Dallas.
 
Categories. GovernmentSettlements & Settlers
 
First Gaston County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, May 2, 2009
3. First Gaston County Courthouse Marker
First Gaston County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, May 2, 2009
4. First Gaston County Courthouse Marker
First Gaston County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, May 2, 2009
5. First Gaston County Courthouse Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 900 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement