Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oakland in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Antonio Bras Columns

 
 
Antonio Bras Columns Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 26, 2009
1. Antonio Bras Columns Marker
Inscription. These granite columns are all that remain of 4460 Howe Street, built in 1898. This residence was the home of various families connected to St. Mary's and Mountain View Cemeteries and their supporting business. 4460 Howe Street originally belonged to Angus McIsaac, superintendent of St. Mary's Cemetery, and later to his daughter and sons, at least one of whom worked for the cemetery. The property was also associated with Percy and June Hassard, florists here in the 1930's. By about 1936, the house and adjoining shop addition belonged to Antonio Gomez Bras of California Marble and Granite Works. Antonio Bras, who rebuilt the porch in 1934-35, added the columns as a way to advertise his business. Bras used the shop adjoining 4460 Howe Street as a branch salesroom for his main marble and granite plant in Hayward.
 
Location. 37° 49.928′ N, 122° 14.78′ W. Marker is in Oakland, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Howe Street near Pleasant Valley Avenue. Click for map. St. Mary's Cemetery is located at 4529 Howe Street. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland CA 94611, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of Col. John Coffee Hays (approx. 0.4 miles away); Key Route Train Station
Antonio Bras Columns Marker and Columns image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 26, 2009
2. Antonio Bras Columns Marker and Columns
In the background is the Chapel of the Chimes Mortuary complex. Although the marker does not say so, it is likely that 4460 Howe and other buildings along the block were taken down during one of the Chapel of the Chimes' expansions.
(approx. half a mile away); El Camino Rancho San Antonio (approx. 0.9 miles away); Faux Bois Benches (approx. 0.9 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Piedmont Park History Trail (approx. 0.9 miles away); Honor Roll (approx. 0.9 miles away); Piedmont Springs Hotel (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Oakland.
 
Also see . . .  St. Marys. A brief description of St. Mary's Cemetery, including some history. (Submitted on May 3, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
St. Mary's Cemetery Entrance - Looking North from Antonio Bras Marker Site image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 26, 2009
3. St. Mary's Cemetery Entrance - Looking North from Antonio Bras Marker Site
St. Marys Catholic Cemetery is Oakland's oldest cemetery, established in 1863. Spread out over 42 acres, more than 70,000 committals have taken place there over more than 145 years.
Chapel of the Chimes Landmark Designation Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
4. Chapel of the Chimes Landmark Designation Plaque
Chapel of the Chimes image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer
5. Chapel of the Chimes
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,418 times since then and 112 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   4, 5. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement