Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shippensburg in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Morris

 
 
Fort Morris Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert H. Moore, II, April 25, 2009
1. Fort Morris Marker
Inscription. Named for Gov. R.H. Morris, and built by local settlers under the supervision of James Burd after Braddock’s defeat in July, 1755. Later garrisoned by provincial troops commanded by Hugh Mercer. The fort site, long marked by the soldiers’ well, lies a block to the north on Burd Street.
 
Erected 1961 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 3.257′ N, 77° 30.785′ W. Marker is in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on East King Street (U.S. 11) near Queen Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shippensburg PA 17257, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Court House (a few steps from this marker); Locust Grove Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shippensburg (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Shippensburg (approx. half a mile away); One-Room Schoolhouse (approx. half a mile away); Braddock Expedition (approx. 0.8 miles away); This Tablet Marks the Site of Fort Morris (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Shippensburg (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Shippensburg.
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesWar, French and Indian
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 783 times since then and 95 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement