Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near San Jose in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Site of First Mining in California

 
 
State Historic Landmark 339-1 Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
1. State Historic Landmark 339-1
The community of New Almaden is the location of many historic homes. Take a minute to stop and enjoy each one and its history as you walk through this historic mining town.
Inscription. Here, along Arroyo de los Alamitos Creek in 1824, Luís Cabolla and Antonio Suñol first worked New Almaden ore in an arrastra. In constant production since 1845, more than a million flasks of quicksilver valued at over 50 million dollars have been produced.
 
Erected 1979 by State Department of Parks & Recreation, California Pioneers of Santa Clara County, Mountain Charlie Chapter 1850 E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 339-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 37° 10.449′ N, 121° 49.47′ W. Marker is near San Jose, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is at the intersection of Almaden Road and Bertram Way, on the left when traveling west on Almaden Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Jose CA 95120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patrick Tillman (here, next to this marker); Hard Rock Miners (here, next to this marker); Vichy Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); Hacienda Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); New Almaden Quicksilver Mine
New Almaden State Historic Landmark Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
2. New Almaden State Historic Landmark
Marker is located on southwest side of intersection at west end of New Almaden Village.
(within shouting distance of this marker); New Almaden’s Civil War Crisis (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hacienda Mining Display (about 500 feet away); Cornish Pump (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in San Jose.
 
Additional comments.
1. Bulmore Park
Text of marker shown in Photo No. 3.
Named in honor of Robert R. Bulmore and his son, Laurence E. Bulmore.

Robert Bulmore was the last General Manager of the New Almaden Quicksilver Mining Company and the last official resident of the Casa Grande.

Laurence Bulmore, a native son, was noted as an authority and historian on early New Almaden by virtue of his writings and collection of rate photographs taken by his father.

Park built by volunteer members of E Clampus Vitus and dedicated on October 13, 1979. • Mountain Carlie Chapter No. 1850, E Clampus Vitus • “Right Wrongs Nobody”
    — Submitted October 6, 2007.

2. Carson House • 1854 • (Cottage No. 13)
Text of marker shown in Photo No. 5.
One
Bulmore Park Historic Marker - New Almaden Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
3. Bulmore Park Historic Marker - New Almaden
located on reverse side of New Almaden State Historic Landmark Plaque base.
of three complete adobe houses in New Almaden made of creek gravel and adobe mud.

In 1855 a plan of the settlement of the hacienda, including all homes south of Casa Grande (the manager's home), to the reduction works of the New Almaden mine, show houses No. 1 to No. 25 on the creek side of the road. George Carson arrived in New Almaden in August, 1883. He acted as telegrapher, bookkeeper and postmaster for the company. He later became Wells-Fargo Express agent and held all positions until his death in 1903. Purchased by Adelaide B. Healey on March 20, 1926.

Dedicated May 21, 1982 by James E. & Adelaide Healey, Kambish, Perham families and Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850, E Clampus Vitus.
    — Submitted October 6, 2007.

3. Bulmore House • 1854 • (Cottage No. 12)
Text of marker shown in Photo No. 7.
Only complete four room, oven-dried brick house in New Almaden.

Appointed cashier, hacienda foreman and secretary of the Miner’s Fund by the manager Mr. Randol, Robert R. Bulmore moved into this cottage in September, 179.

Mr. Bullmore’s avocation was photography, which he shared with the resident physician. Many existing photographs of the latter part of the 19th century in New Almaden are the work of these two men.

When Mr.
Carson House - New Almaden Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
4. Carson House - New Almaden
This building is a private home, Please do not disturb the occupants.
Randol retired, Mr. Bulmore was appointed general agent and sole pacific coast representative of the company. He then moved into the Casa Grande.

Dedicated May 21, 1982 by Douglas & Constance Perham and Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850, E Clampus Vitus.
    — Submitted October 6, 2007.

4. Robert Scott House • (Cottage No. 4)
Text of marker shown in Photo No. 9.
Robert Scott, a native of Canada, arrived in New Almaden in 1864. He was co-inventor of the Huttner & Scott furnace in 1876, the furnace that revolutionized the reduction of quicksilver and saved the Quicksilver Mining Company from bankruptcy. This furnace, because of improvements by him, later became known as the Scott Furnace.

Scott married in 1861 and, with his bride, moved into Cottage No. 4, living there until 1895. He then moved into the house he built at 498 South 11th Street, San Jose.

Dedicated October 11, 1980, Santa Clara County Historical Heritage Commission and Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850, E Clampus Vitus.
    — Submitted October 6, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.

5. The Hauck House • Casa Nuestra or Cottage # 5
Text of marker shown in Photo No. 11.
Built
Carson House marker Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
5. Carson House marker
by Barron, Forbes & Company in the late 1840’s, this cottage is one of several houseswith a brick basement. Individuals who rented this house included William Flemming, John Marr, George Granger, and Thomas Barrett.

Theodore S. Shaw, a schoolteacher and Justice of the Peace also lived here, as well as Fred P. Hauck, Sr., who served as treasurer of the New Almaden Company from 1915–1930. The brick sidewalk was constructed so that children could walk to the hacienda school. without muddying their shoes.

Dedicated May 15, 2005 by Mike and Dorene Boulland • Sponsored by The New Almaden Quicksilver County Park Association & Mountain Charlie Chapter # 1850, E Clampus Vitus • “Right Wrongs Nobody”
    — Submitted October 6, 2007.

6. Huttner House • (Cottage No. 3)
Text of marker shown in Photo No. 13.
Home of H. J. Huttner, a mechanical engineer, who in 1874 worked with brick layer Robert Scott to design and build the first highly efficient ore extracting furnace.

This house of modest wood and brick construction was typical of others along the gateway to the mine. It was built to accommodate the New Almaden Quicksilver Mining Company engineers during the years of 1847–1912.

Dedicated August 28, 1981 by the Casterson
Bulmore House - New Almaden Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
6. Bulmore House - New Almaden
This building is a private home, Please do not disturb the occupants.
family and Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850, E Clampus Vitus.
    — Submitted October 6, 2007.

7. The Randol Family Home • Cottage # 1
Text of marker shown in Photo No. 15.
This cottage is the largest of the dwellings built by Barron, Forbes & Co. in the late 1840’s. It contained four fireplaces and a large wood-burning basement stove used by servants to prepare meals. It was purchased in 1863 by New Almaden Quicksilver Mining Co. and earlier in 1856 house the head mining engineers.

Dr. A.R. Randol lived here in 1879, he having replaced Dr. Frederick V. Hopkins. The company accountant Robert Burnett Smith & his wife Anne Terhune Smith followed & they lived here through 1881. Anne was also a sister-in-law of J.B. Randol, the mine’s manager from 1870 to 1892.

Dedicated May 15, 2005 by the Harry & Buffy Wellman family • Sponsored by The New Almaden Quicksilver County Park Association & Mountain Charlie Chapter 1850, E. Clampus Vitus • “Right Wrongs Nobody”.
    — Submitted October 6, 2007.

8. John Young House • (Cottage No. 2)
Text of marker shown in Photo No. 17.
This restored house is one of the original homes in the town of
Bulmore House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
7. Bulmore House Marker
New Almaden, which was originally called Hacienda. The house was built in 1847 by Barron, Forbes Mining Co. and owned by the mining company until its bankruptcy in 1912.

The cottage was first occupied by John Young, a native of Scotland, who was a trader and master of vessels on the coast. In the Fall of 1847, he arrived here with Alexander Forbes and a sizable crew of workers, and became superintendent of the initial mining operations. Young died in San Francisco in 1864.

Dedicated September 12, 1981 by the Brian Ledig family and Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850, E Clampus Vitus.
    — Submitted October 6, 2007.

 
Categories. Industry & CommerceLandmarksNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Robert Scott House - New Almaden Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
8. Robert Scott House - New Almaden
This building is a private home, Please do not disturb the occupants.
Robert Scott House marker Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
9. Robert Scott House marker
Hauck House - New Almaden Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
10. Hauck House - New Almaden
This building is a private home, Please do not disturb the occupants.
Hauck House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
11. Hauck House Marker
Huttner House - New Almaden Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
12. Huttner House - New Almaden
This building is a private home, Please do not disturb the occupants.
Hunter House marker Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
13. Hunter House marker
Randol Family House - New Almaden Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
14. Randol Family House - New Almaden
This building is a private home, Please do not disturb the occupants.
Randol Family Home marker Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
15. Randol Family Home marker
John Young House - New Almaden Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
16. John Young House - New Almaden
This building is a private home, Please do not disturb the occupants.
John Young House marker Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
17. John Young House marker
Superintendants House, Casa Grande - New Almaden Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 20, 2006
18. Superintendants House, Casa Grande - New Almaden
Casa Grande served as the residence and offices for the superintendent of the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine. Today, the building houses the New Almaden Mining Museum.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 3,009 times since then and 94 times this year. Last updated on , by Doug Korns of San Jose, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18. submitted on , by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement