“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Boonsboro in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)


Lee's Headquarters


—Antietam Campaign 1862 —

Boonsboro Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 3, 2007
1. Boonsboro Marker
Inscription. After Gen. Robert E. Lee issued Special Order 191 near Frederick dividing the Army of Northern Virginia into four columns, Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s command marched across South Mountain on September 10, 1862. His column passed through Turner’s Gap and Boonsboro en route to compel the surrender of the Federal garrison at Harpers Ferry. Gen. James Longstreet’s and Gen. D.H. Hill’s columns also passed by here, and Gen. J.E.B. Stuart established his headquarters here temporarily on the evening of September 13. Here Stuart learned of the march of the Army of the Potomac under Gen. George B. McClellan from Frederick toward the eastern side of South Mountain and sent word to Lee near Hagerstown. Lee consulted with Longstreet, who recommended that he and Hill withdraw west of Antietam Creek to Sharpsburg, but Lee decided that the South Mountain gaps must be held to buy time for Jackson's attack at Harpers Ferry. Longstreet later complained, “The hallucination that McClellan was not capable of serious work seemed to pervade our army even to this moment of dreadful threatening.” Lee established his headquarters here on September 14 during the Battle of South Mountain. The next day a rearguard cavalry engagement occurred here, during which some of this Unionist town’s citizens sniped at the Confederates. Part
Civil War Trails and Old National Road Markers in Boonsboro image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 9, 2007
2. Civil War Trails and Old National Road Markers in Boonsboro
of the Union army marched through here on its way to attack Lee’s army, which had withdrawn to a ridge near Sharpsburg after accomplishing its mission at South Mountain.
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 30.585′ N, 77° 39.24′ W. Marker is in Boonsboro, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Old National Road (Alternate U.S. 40) and Orchard Drive / Shafer Park Road, on the right when traveling east on North Old National Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boonsboro MD 21713, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The National Road (here, next to this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (here, next to this marker); Cannon of Revolutionary War (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Boys from Boonsboro District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Town of Boonsboro (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stonewall Jackson's Way (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Battle of Antietam or Sharpsburg (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Boonsboro.
More about this marker.
Murdock House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2007
3. Murdock House
About a mile east of Boonsboro, this house was occupied by John Murdock in 1862. Major Henry Kyd Douglas, a native of Washington County and aide to General Jackson, knew Murdock to sympathize with the Confederates, and asked to use the house as Jackson's headquarters. South Mountain (Turner's Gap) stands behind the house.
The marker displays a portrait of Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and a newspaper drawing showing Boonsboro with Turner’s Gap in the distance.
Categories. War, US Civil
I.O.O.F. Hall image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2007
4. I.O.O.F. Hall
The International Order of Odd Fellows Hall, built by a men's club from the 19th Century, was used as a hospital during the Battles of South Mountain and Antietam. The hall stands at 105 South Main Street.
Disciples of Christ Church image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2007
5. Disciples of Christ Church
Completed in 1860, the church became a hospital while the Battle of Antietam was fought. The church stands on St. Paul Street, just a block north of Main Street.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,766 times since then and 172 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement