Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Maumee in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Presbyterian Church

Ohio Historical Marker

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 28, 2009
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. This congregation was organized January 9, 1820 by 11 charter members. In 1837 the structure was completed on land reserved for religious purposes on the first Maumee plat. A British gun battery stood on the site in the War of 1812. Additions to the building were made in 1922, 1951, and 1968. Dr. Horatio Conant, pioneer teacher, merchant, physician, and politician, was for 59 years a member and officer.
 
Erected 1970 by The First Presbyterian Church and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-48.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 33.695′ N, 83° 39.053′ W. Marker is in Maumee, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is at the intersection of East Broadway Street and Gibbs Street., on the left when traveling west on East Broadway Street. Click for map. This historical marker is located in the front northwest corner of the church property, as you drive by on East Broadway Street. Marker is in this post office area: Maumee OH 43537, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. House of Four Pillars (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Northern Light Lodge No. 40 Free and Accepted Masons
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 28, 2009
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
View of the historical marker in front of First Presbyterian Church.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Plantation (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dudley's Massacre (approx. half a mile away); The Indian Wars (approx. half a mile away); to Fort Meigs / to Fort Meigs (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Fort Meigs (approx. 0.6 miles away); General William Henry Harrison (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Maumee.
 
More about this marker. The First Presbyterian Church is located one block away from the Maumee River flood plain, and if not for the existance of modern day buildings and structures, within view of the War of 1812 era fortification, Fort Meigs.
 
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. Since my interest in this marker is in the events that are related to the War of 1812, that is what I will focus upon. Regarding the British gun battery located at the First Presbyterian Church (on the other side of the Maumee River from the American fortifications at Fort Meigs), Charles E. Slocum writes in his book, "History of the Maumee River Basin" (copyright 1905), the following: "There had been continuous rain, and the efforts of the British to move their heavy cannon (with two hundred men and several oxen to each twenty-four-pounder) and construct batteries, were very laborious and attended with delays. The work was carried forward first only at night and later uninterruptedly day and night with strong relays, not withstanding the rain and shots from Fort Meigs which killed some of their men and wounded others."

"By the early morning of the 30th April they had completed two batteries nearly opposite Fort Meigs, on the sites of the present Methodist and Presbyterian Churches in Maumee Village, the first mounting two twenty-four-pounder cannon (the heaviest at Fort Meigs being two eighteen-pounders) and the other mounting three howitzers, one eight inches and the other two five and a half inches caliber. During the mounting of these cannon several more were killed by the good aim of the American artillerymen at the Fort."
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.MilitarySettlements & SettlersWar of 1812
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 743 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement