Maumee in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Here, on May 5, 1813, Colonel
Dudley's troops spiked the
British artillery besieging
Fort Meigs; but, in the en-
thusiasm of victory they
were led into an ambush
where over 600 were lost.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C27.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 34.013′ N, 83° 38.735′ W. Marker is in Maumee, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is on River Road 0.1 miles north of East John Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. This historical marker is located in front of the Maumee branch of the Toledo-Lucas County Public Library, on the River Road side of the library. Marker is in this post office area: Maumee OH 43537, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); House of Four Pillars (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Wolcott House (approx. Northern Light Lodge No. 40 Free and Accepted Masons (approx. 0.6 miles away); to Fort Stephenson / to Fort Meigs (approx. 0.8 miles away but has been reported missing); to Fort Meigs / to Fort Meigs (approx. 0.8 miles away but has been reported missing); History Happened Here (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Maumee.
More about this marker. The events described on this marker, that took place at this location, on May 5, 1813, are part of a series of events that are described in a series of related markers. The pre-massacre events would involve information described on historical markers to the south, at Maumee's First Presbyterian Church and at Perrysburg's Fort Meigs. The post-massacre events would involve information described on the historical marker located to the north, at Maumee's Fort Miamis Park.
Regarding Dudley's Massacre. In his book "History of the Maumee River Basin" (copyright 1905), Charles E. Slocum writes the following concerning Dudley's Massacre: "That night about eleven o'clock General Harrison's anxiety regarding reinforcements was largely
"It was some time after daylight before the oncoming boats
"Colonel Dudley executed his prescribed task most gallantly and successfully up to the capture of the batteries. His command arrived near the batteries (which were in full action) unobserved, the right led by Dudley the left led by Major Shelby and the center as a reserve by Acting Major Morrison. Captain Combs with thirty riflemen, including seven friendly Aborigines, were in front and on the left flank a hundred yards distant. The columns marched so as to present a semicircular front to the enemy, Major Shelby's command passing around between the batteries and the British camp. The orders were to move quietly, but savages fired on Dudley's troops when near the batteries and, with a shout, they charged. The gunners fled, the Americans rushed forward to the guns, spiked eleven of the largest (unfortunately, the spikeing of the cannon could then be done only with ramrods, instead of with the usual files or other short, hard pieces of metal that could be broken at level
"Colonel Dudley landed with eight hundred and sixty-six men - his regiment numbering seven hundred and sixty-one and, in addition
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on November 17, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio (Submitted on August 31, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission'. This is a link to information provided by the (Submitted on March 24, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
In 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20
Of the 20 some original markers that have been included in the historical marker database only a small number of them have the original art work, across the top of the historical marker, that makes these markers so unique from most other historical markers. This "Dudley's Massacre" marker is one of those very few markers.
— Submitted September 7, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Categories. • Military • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,319 times since then and 210 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5, 6. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 8, 9. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.