Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
St. John's Episcopal Church
Built in 1852 with money provided by church fairs, St. John's served as a hospital and barracks during the Civil War and suffered considerable damage. It was rebuilt afterward, but was abandoned in 1895 when a new Episcopal church was built in the upper town.
Location. 39° 19.365′ N, 77° 43.91′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from Church Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located on the trail to Jefferson Rock in lower town of Harpers Ferry National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Springhouses and Root Cellars (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harper House Tavern (about 300 feet away); Harper House (about 300 feet away); Shenandoah Street about 1880 (about 300 feet away); A Government Factory Town (about 400 feet away); Floods (about 400 feet away); Armory Workers (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 980 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. 4. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.