Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Butcher Shop and Boarding House
When the U.S. purchased the buildings in 1863, the boarding house became workers' housing, while Coons continued to lease the butcher shop.
Location. 39° 19.3′ N, 77° 43.91′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from Shenandoah Street (Business U.S. 340), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located in lower town of Harpers Ferry National Historic Site, just south of the Winchester and Potomac Railroad. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Government Factory Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Armory Workers (within shouting distance of this marker); Casualties of Time (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Government Factory Town No Longer (about 400 feet St. John's Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); Shenandoah Street about 1880 (about 400 feet away); Floods (about 400 feet away); St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. Above the text is An 1864 view of the boarding house lot and the armory workers' houses from Jefferson Rock. Union troop transports crowd the railroad in front of the main structure.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 786 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.